Corsair Community

Random lock ups with CM3X2048-1600C9DHX

griffie

Initialy all was well, my vista install was running just fine - than I have had some random lock ups with the 4 DIMMs I have in there now. I removed all the DIMMs and tested one by one. I have found one DIMM in paticular would consistantly crash the os wether vista or linux was running. This DIMM is part of a dual channel kit. Please advise on how to proceed.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 or DDR1333 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay, I've been doing thorough testing... So far, I've tested DIMM 1 and DIMM 2 completely. Here's the results:

DIMM 1 is bulletproof. I can run it 1066-1600 with appropriate timings/voltages. It always performs admirably in MemTest86+ v4.00 and Windows Memory Diagnostic (Extended Tests). Every test is done for at least 24 hours before it is considered a success.

DIMM 2 is not so good. It will run 1066 and 1333 @ 1.60v with appropriate timings, but as soon as I try to up the voltage on the RAM, it fails to complete the testing regime. I can also try to up the MCP voltage a little to help, but the module still fails. I've also put the module in a different motherboard (Asus P5E3) but get the same failed results. This module will only ever complete a 24 hour cycle of tests when it's running at 1.60v. This module will not complete a testing cycle when clocked at 1600Mhz ever.

Please advise,

Eric

- I will begin the testing of DIMMS 3 & 4 after we get DIMM 2 stable.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a problem like this on the system with the memory. The system was stable with 6 gig but refused to boot with 8. I set the system performance to optimized and took the memory multiplier off auto and set it to 3.20b to give a memory speed of 1066. Everything is stable now.

rhamblin, thanks for the response. Unfortunately I don't think your suggestion applies because I'm finding individual DIMMs unstable, not the system as a whole with multiple DIMMs installed. As I noted above, I've been testing individual DIMM modules, one at a time. Additionally, I too can run my DIMMs at 1066, but I'm running a 1333 FSB chip on a 1333 FSB capable board, so I expect to get at least 1333Mhz with this 1600Mhz memory.

Thank you for the response, though. Any other suggestions?

Eric

Archived