Corsair Community

P128 Stuttering Badly During Game Play

todwag

My P128 is about 3 weeks old. I did a fresh install of XP on it and it's been working perfectly until about 4 days ago.

While playing Dungeons and Dragons Online my system will freeze for about 2 seconds every 5 minutes. During these stutters, I hear the USB hardware connection/disconnection sound. Furthermore, my Safely Remove Hardware icon is always in the tray when it should be hidden from inactivity. The only USB device listed is my SSD drive. I also periodically have the same symptoms while surfing the web but the frequency is only once per hour. The more intensely I use my computer the more frequent the problem.

I have disabled Windows prefetch in the registry and I have 50% free space. My motherboard is SATA I and has no settings for AHCI or IDE compatibility mode.

Any suggestions are welcome.

To clarify: When I double click on the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray, it shows my Corsair drive. It doesn't say its a USB drive but in the past I have only ever seen USB drives listed here.

Can others see their Corsair drive listed like I described?

If you had your drive mounted in a caddy and then connected into a USB port then yes, you would probably see that behaviour. But as USB2 is limited to 480Mb you'd gain little benefit.

If the drive is mounted internally, on the SATA conenctor, then it goes nowhere near USB.

Jim

I'm just wondering if your computer is set as AHCI as this would show the safely remove hardward icon in your status notification area and the SSD would be listed; even though you state that there are no options available in your Bios for IDE or AHCI. Very strange.

Well, regardless of what the SATA is set at (IDE or AHCI) it sounds to me like an alignment problem. When you install XP did you just run through the normal set up procedure for XP and partition and format via XP or did you partition and format before; if it was before the install how did you partition and format.

Windows XP is notorious for not correctly aligning SSDs and if you can get your hands on a Vista or Windows 7 installation disk then you can partition and format via this using Diskpart .... if not then search this forum for Diskpart as there are loads of posts relating to it and how to use it. Regrettably it will mean clearing your SSD so make sure you backup all essential files and data that you need to keep.

My issue is resolved or discovered. It seems odd but it's demonstrably the source of my stuttering.

Whenever my iPhone is connected to my PC via USB and the system is running under, a load I get the freeze/stutter for 2 seconds every 5 minutes. Disconnecting the iPhone completely stops the problem. Reconnecting it brings the problem back. It is also independent of iTunes.

I'm not sure if this problem is the fault of the iPhone or SSD or both. Before I had the SSD the iPhone didn't have this problem. At any rate, I have an acceptable discussion.

Archived