Corsair Community

Freezing up with new X128GB

joytech22

Hey the title pretty much sums it up, iv'e had it for about half a month now and without problems up until now.

Sometimes on startup it'll just freeze the whole system without warning, forcing me to hard reboot.

it has NEVER frozen up on me while actually using it, so i suspect a driver loading issue.

Was this a fresh install of the O.S. on this drive or did you image it from another HDD?

i did Image it, but then i decided to fresh install, so i formatted and just reinstalled all my programs.

EDIT: By the way, when the OS freezes up, the mouse will still move, but the SSD stops doing anything and just idles.

• Corsair Employees

Yes if you update the Firmware the information on the drive will be erased. That is part of the Firmware update process.

I would suggest you use another HDD to image the drive to then format the drive with the suggested parameters and test it to be sure its performing properly.

ok thanks, and i found the problem, my northbridge chipset requires that it be above 79 degrees celcius in order for the pc to boot past POST, and after the first boot the chipset is still below 79, so whenever anything data-intensive happens, the computer stops responding, requiring restart.. Grr @ *Unnamed* :(

Hey the title pretty much sums it up, iv'e had it for about half a month now and without problems up until now.

Sometimes on startup it'll just freeze the whole system without warning, forcing me to hard reboot.

it has NEVER frozen up on me while actually using it, so i suspect a driver loading issue.

Hey,

You will find some interesting frustrating post from me here of the numerous troubles and gripes I have had, but I have just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and the X128's in Raid 0 work a treat.

One thing im noticing with a lot of these freezes is everyone seems to be running power thirsty Video Cards and overclock settings etc and it is onces SSD's are installed, freezing seems to be an issue.

Im pretty confident to say that it is likely your PSU just isnt up for the task. Im running quad sli and 4 high speed drives and my corsair 1000W PSU just wont cut it once it comes to overclocking.... the second i increase any voltage anywhere, or try to ramp up to 2000Mhz on my corsair dominator GT ram, im suddenly freezing like a marsupial caught in headlights.

I just received my warranty replacement SSD and yet still under load they freeze. Without any additional power consuption they are incredibly fast and stable. From power button to fully loaded windows desktop im getting there in around 50 secs. an incredible feat as im not spacebarring through BIOS post just letting it do its own thing.

Is there anyone out there who can challenge this theory? Im buying another Corsair PSU this weekend to test my theory and see if it is indeed my voltage rails that are to blame, and subsequently quite possibly many others same reason for blame.

I think this is due to the fact when we first build our rig, we select a PSU that is ideal for that build and with the addition of LED's, Front Panel fan controllers etc etc etc and all the rest of the rubbish attached to so many computers after initial build, its likely your PSU is over stressed for something that sucks power (economically) to provide high performance. You should also not you can hear your graphics cards draw more power to fans when writing at high speeds etc. This is all a sap on the power management.

With your rig i would suggest putting your 550W on ebay and get yourself a Corsair 1000W monster and im pretty sure that will sort your issue.

Im wondering what the best way is to split power supply units? Should i run my 2 GTX 295's off the one 1000W PSU and everything else off a smaller new one or get a second 1000W and run one card off each and split all other peripherals as evenly as possible? Does corsair have plans for a more powerful supply to meet triple and quad SLi demands?

Hope this info helps and gets some techy propellor heads thinking. A freeze seems like a loss of power to me. And after experiencing it myself and knowing when it happens it seems likely.

Mike

Hey,

Just further read your issues and noticed you could still move your mouse.

Different issue altogther. This is windows 7 driver issues. Your support cd for your motherboard is a great way to infect your chipset with the cancer known as Vista which is why we were all waiting outside the computer shop yesterday morning to get our copy of the only Windows Platform that has actually excited us to an extent similar to the release of Crysis.

It took me 5 attempts of installing Win 7 to get it right and the order to prevent this.

1. Throw away your motherboard support cd. If it wasnt released today its useless. Mine wouldnt work at all and was 2008 release dated.

2. Go to your motherboard manufacturers website support and download latest intel chipset drivers. You must install these first before doing anything else whatsoever. While your there, download the latest Intel Matrix storage manager version as well and JmBmicron X36 driver.

3. Ensure any drivers you get say Windows 7. Dont just look at the release date and say hey its vista 64bit that should be ok. If it wont validate that it is specifically compatible with windows 7 just wait... the drivers should merely be days away and you dont want crap code and registry entries ruining your day.

4. Restart! Most important. Once Chipset installed restart!

5. Now install Intel Matrix Storage manager (not sure if this is applicable for AMD but if not use comaparitive program)

6. Now install JmBmicron x36 driver

7. Go to sound card website for me it was creative

8. A new Windows 7 driver was there. download it and refuse anything that isnt windows 7 specific. (im still waiting on the new DTS audio pack before i can get sound) I could use the year old DTS pack in compatability mode, but no way, I hate Vista so much i dont want any of its crap code anywhere near my system (yes im aware win 7 is based on the Vista programing before it)

9. This is what i did, and now my PC is running amazing.

10. Provide feedback to me to let me know if this advice was worth the effort. Im a relatively new enthusiast and havent tried to provide anyone with help before. :) If your computer starts smoking or blows up on you its more likely that you wont find me back here... jokes

My motherboard has nothing to do with Intel, it was designed for AMD, with a AMD chipset, which since i got this Corsair H50 water thing, now sits at 81 degrees Celsius compared to the old 79 when i was running the stock cooler.

ScOpEsOnYoU, Yes i do have a power hungry GTX285, and if you really are confident that my 550W PSU has ended its useful period, then i will consider replacing it with a nice new beefy supply from Corsair, since i like the quality of their products!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help, i got the spot cooler from a reputable manufacturer, and it works flawlessly!

took about 30 seconds to install, and now it's running at the temperature that my Motherboard manufacturer recommended, 69C!

EDIT: Also found the problem to the freeze after boot too, it was nothing that i thought it could have been, turns out it was a special Antivirus conflicting with my main Antivirus, causing it to freeze the pc because when my main Antivirus tried to shut down the other, less capable antivirus, the one being shut off would attempt to prevent damage to the pc by disallowing HDD usage!

Well i uninstalled it (i had it because it was designed to run alongside with my main antivirus) the freezing stopped, now im absolutely loving this drive, and now that i found out this firmware has a feature that fixes SSD performance when idle, im jumping!, because even as a type my SSD is gaining some of its performance!!!

Archived