Corsair Community

PSU orientation on a Panzerbox

tk42

This is probably to basic a question to ask, but since I am a new builder, and bought a Corsair 750W power supply, I will ask here. I have a NZXT Panzerbox computer case. With this case, a power supply is not mounted on the top or bottom of the case, but at the side of the case. That means the psu is laying on it's side, with the fan either pointing into the interior of the case, or out the side of the case, where there is a mesh vent, which the psu's fan could be up aganst, if oriented in that way.

So which way is better, and i would like to understand why. Do all psu fans rotate in the same direction? Such as turning one way would be blowing air into the case interior, and turning or rotating the other way sucks air out of the interior and expelling it out the back. Is the fan on a psu ment mainly to expel the heat it produces, or to circulate air within the the case to cool other items that are producing heat? I know this must be a somewhat basic question, but i don't know these things, and would appreciate if anyone could tell me which direction the fan should be pointing in my case, and the reasoning behind it. Thanks for any help.

• Corsair Employees
The fan on our PSUs is always going to suck air in and blow it out the back. The fan is designed to keep the PSU cool, and not necessarily the interior of your case. Either installation would likely be fine, but having the PSU pull in cooler air will keep the PSU cooler overall. The difference would likely be negligible, so whichever orientation is more convenient to install, would be the one that I recommend.

Thank you for your quick reply. In that case, I will mount the psu with the fan facing the mesh screen of the side wall, as it will bring in cooler air to cool the psu, and in that orientation, any extra cables will be easier to manage, as they will be right next the bottom of the case. Thanks again.

Archived