Corsair Community

2 pairs of TW3X4G1333C9DHX timing question

paultax

Hi

I have 2 kits of this memory (totalling 8gb) on a Gigabyte P55-UD5 mobo with an i5 cpu.

Ive read thro tons of posts already on this forum about problems with memory speeds, and I'm having the same prob.

From what I can gather, the problem sort of lies in the SPD, so the settings have to be made manually to get it to run at 1333Mhz.

The problem I have is this mobo has about a million settings in bios, and Im guessing I cant trust using (auto) on any of them if the SPD is not correct??

Im not too knowledgable on this, after all, I'm not trying to overclock, just get it to run at the right speed.

Any help at all would be hugely appreciated

Paul

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thankyou for your help so far.

Can I ask, why is it that I have to downclock this memory? Surely my mb is more than capable of running memory at this speed (and beyond).

Ive read thro the post about how Corsair memory is rated, and Im sort of under the impression that you clock the memory as fast as is stable, then sell it at that rating. Is it then any wonder that so many people are finding that it wont run at that speed?

As overclocking is pretty much expected for self builds, Im very disappointed that this memory wont even run at its sold rating, and it wasnt cheap.

I think I buy memory elsewhere for my next build, but I thank you for your support forum.

Paul

Can I ask, why is it that I have to downclock this memory? Surely my mb is more than capable of running memory at this speed (and beyond).
Your memory controller is in your CPU, not in the motherboard. It's not something you HAVE to do, but it's what's suggested. Like I said, they haven't tested your 2 pairs together and as such cannot guarantee how they'll work together.

Ive read thro the post about how Corsair memory is rated, and Im sort of under the impression that you clock the memory as fast as is stable, then sell it at that rating. Is it then any wonder that so many people are finding that it wont run at that speed?
If you mean binning, that's how all memory is made.

As overclocking is pretty much expected for self builds, Im very disappointed that this memory wont even run at its sold rating, and it wasnt cheap.
Again, refer to my previous statements. You are attempting to run it outside of it's parameters.

If you want an 8 GB DDR3 pack, here's what you should be looking for:

CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

CMX8GX3M4A1600C9

CMX8GX3M4A1333C9

So Wired, if you went out and bought a car that had a label on it saying 200mph and you got it home to find it only did 150 wouldnt u feel a little bit conned?

Ahh, but the manufacturer got that speed in a vacuum so that ok then!

Excuse me for being ignorant, I'm not an IT professional and I certainly dont understand these things to the level you guys do, but I can read a label.

Can't compare the 2, as you bought ONE car, not TWO that you're splicing together. Analogy doesn't fit the situation.

Yes, each pair is guaranteed to run at their rated specs when run by themselves. They have not tested them with a 2nd pair, hence they cannot guarantee it. It's not fair to ask them to guarantee something they haven't tested.

Keep in mind any kit has up to 9 main revisions, each with a different IC base. Too many combos to test, especially when ICs from the same batch don't always like to play with each other.

Add on to the fact that most memory controllers tend to automatically slow down when 4 sticks are used to deal with the additional load. You can certainly try to OC it, but that's just one more factor to deal with.

So Wired, if you went out and bought a car that had a label on it saying 200mph and you got it home to find it only did 150 wouldnt u feel a little bit conned?

Ahh, but the manufacturer got that speed in a vacuum so that ok then!

Excuse me for being ignorant, I'm not an IT professional and I certainly dont understand these things to the level you guys do, but I can read a label.

There is no reason to be rude to people that are trying to assist you. What Wired is saying is correct. And, you are going to have to do some BIOS tuning of your own to get these modules to run at their rated speed since you are using 4 modules, and not 2 modules.

Part of your issue is that you did not buy memory from the list of recommended parts for your system. 2 4GB pairs are not necessarily the same and a 4 module 8GB kit. Therefore, you are trying to run memory on a platform on which it has not been tested in the configuration you are attempting.

Most likely, a small bump on your memory controller voltage, aka QPI voltage will resolve this. You'll need to familiarize yourself with your BIOS and with your manual. Gigabyte support can assist you if you need more information.

Can you list the BIOS settings you have tried for voltages, CPU, and memory? My guess is that 1.65v for the memory voltage and about 1.2v or so on the memory controller should fix your right up.

Archived