Corsair Community

The SSD dillemna

Scribe_X58

Greetings.

I have been watching SSD for almost 2 months now and am perilously close to pulling the trigger on one for my tx2000 tablet pc. The cries of firmware, trim and wear leveling and all that drive me crazy though. Let me put out a new thought on all this.

First off, I have a production machine with a RAID 0 Seagate ES2 array. Random reads and writes are as good as can be for a spinning platter, and sequential throughput reaches 190mb. I don't have any intention of putting an SSD into the machine until windows 7 has been out for awhile and SSDs and Microsoft get together on issues.

However, the bang for the buck performance I would get in my tablet makes it worth it to deal with the possible drawbacks of early adopter technology. I want to put a P series in my Tablet pc to get longer battery life and quicker shutdowns and startups.

Let me see if I have this straight though. All current P series are being released with garbage cleanup, but Trim is hit or miss. Even the most mediocre SSD is faster than my laptop momentus drive.

What I am getting at, regardless of the issues, the firmware, the lack of firmware, garbage collection or whatever else,...if I plug a P series 64gb drive into my tablet and do a clean install of windows 7 64bit next month, I'll still see radical performance gains.

Even if Samsung flips us the single finger salute and never releases another firmware update, the drive will STILL be faster than any Seagate Momentus spinning platter drive.

I'm tired of making my eyes bleed looking at all the complaining, to me there is only one question, "regardless of the issues with drives right now, will an SSD be far and away an improvement over spinning platter drives in laptops."

I'll figure out a desktop solution this time next year.

• Corsair Employees
TRIM as defined by the the S-ATA Spec includes Garbage collection but at this time it seems that all of the drive manufacturers have their own version of TRIM which may or may not be compatible with Microsoft's version. Current P-Series drives using Samsung technology include Garbage collection but at this time Microsoft's Trim is not officially supported. We will have to wait and see if Samsung and Microsoft get on the same page. But if not the drive will work with any O.S.

Recent SSDs (that have cache) are always faster than conventional hard drives. The great thing is that the random read performance (e.g. booting, starting apps) cannot decrease, no matter how used your SSD is. Since read operation are about 90% of all operations on an end user system, the incredible performance gains will remain.

The only thing that is decreasing without TRIM, GC, or some kind of cleaning mechanism are the write/copy speeds.

Since Indilinx already supports TRIM (the real one) and GC and Samsung is working on a release in the near future, I would say it's safe to buy any X- or P-Series SSDs. At the moment I would rather buy the X-Series because Indilinx updates come more regularly and are very well known.

Recent SSDs (that have cache) are always faster than conventional hard drives. The great thing is that the random read performance (e.g. booting, starting apps) cannot decrease, no matter how used your SSD is. Since read operation are about 90% of all operations on an end user system, the incredible performance gains will remain.

The only thing that is decreasing without TRIM, GC, or some kind of cleaning mechanism are the write/copy speeds.

Since Indilinx already supports TRIM (the real one) and GC and Samsung is working on a release in the near future, I would say it's safe to buy any X- or P-Series SSDs. At the moment I would rather buy the X-Series because Indilinx updates come more regularly and are very well known.

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. One more concern however...the reason I chose the P series is this forum is littered with "X series no longer recognized" etc posts. I can't afford to be starting class, open my tablet and see "operating system not found".

Anyone able to put my mind at ease? I prefer the X over the P, but there is *way* too many problems posted here with that drive.

There is will be a solution for the problem you mentioned coming shortly.

I would suggest purchasing the Performance series for any one not able to wait for the fix for the X-Series firmware update.

Ditto, plus you have more cache memory on the P Series...so for a single drive it will perform better. Remember, the X series were really designed for the people wanting to make disk arrays (RAID). That's why they don't have 128MB of cache, no need if you have multiple disks doing work, i.e. it would be hard for to get get a bottleneck due to cache limitations.

Archived