Corsair Community

problem with 2 kits of TR3X6G1600C8D

gimp

I intially built my Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 / i7 920 with a Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator 6 GB 3 x 2 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 Core i7 Memory Kit. Loaded optimized defaults and set XMS profile 1 in the BIOS (f9e). Installed win7-64 RC and everything worked great for weeks.

I then added an additional 6GB of the same memory for a total of 12GB. Immediately started getting BSODs with things like memory_management. Got a couple Memtest86 errors. Pulled out the new memory and Memtest86 made 16 passes without error on the original 6GB.

Exchanged the apparently bad memory at Fry's and got three new ones. Same problem with all 12GB in, BSOD & three Memtest86 errors in test 5, pass 8.

Seems really strange that two sets of memory in a row would be bad. Just bad luck or is it something else? Is this board capable of 12GB @ XMS Profile 1?

Thanks for any help you can give.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same exact problem:

My i7 920; W7 64B computer works great at 1600 with 6GB installed (TR3X6G1600C8 G), but as soon as I install another three sticks (6GB) of the identical 3-stick 6GB pack for a total of 12 GB it gives me Blue Screens (memory management, and other types). I'm running on a GA-EX58-UD4P Mobo. Running CPU at stock rate (2.66)

I have lowered the speed from 1600 to 1333, and it seems to work. What's up with that. Does that mean that 1600 is not supported in a 12GB configuration? Would I get better performance for FSX by running just 6GB at 1600, instead of 12GB at 1333?

Thanks in advance for your help.

It means that you're maxing out the memory controller, not to mention probably mixing different ICs together (which the memory version # indicates).

Performance depends on what you use the system for. Assuming Flight sims, it depends on how much memory they need. I'd suggest you load one up, start zooming around, and check your FPS as well as how much memory it's using.

Archived