Corsair Community

Fan Recommendations?

ChuckinSC

I've ordered the case as part of my computer build including the Corsair 850 modular PS and 6GB of Dominator RAM on a i7 920 build. The system will be air cooled and from what I read on this forum, fans on top of the 800D will help with cooling/air flow. Can anyone help with a recommendation for good fans to use for this purpose - not too loud but sufficient CFM, etc.. Thanks!

I've ordered the case as part of my computer build including the Corsair 850 modular PS and 6GB of Dominator RAM on a i7 920 build. The system will be air cooled and from what I read on this forum, fans on top of the 800D will help with cooling/air flow. Can anyone help with a recommendation for good fans to use for this purpose - not too loud but sufficient CFM, etc.. Thanks!

They aren't cheap but IMO Scythe Gentle Typhoons are the best. RPM will depend on if you use a fan controller. If you don't then 1200 rpm fans are very quiet and pump a lot of air.

For my current rig (water cooled) I bought four different brands of fans and FINALLY found some 1850 rpm GT's (rare as hens teeth right now). And even at 1850 rpm they produce a mild non irritating hum. Beautiful fans :)

They aren't cheap but IMO Scythe Gentle Typhoons are the best. RPM will depend on if you use a fan controller. If you don't then 1200 rpm fans are very quiet and pump a lot of air.

For my current rig (water cooled) I bought four different brands of fans and FINALLY found some 1850 rpm GT's (rare as hens teeth right now). And even at 1850 rpm they produce a mild non irritating hum. Beautiful fans :)

Johnmark,

Can you post specifics on the fans you bought, and why you settled on the GT fans. Also, can you post some URLs for these fans. :o: The Google search I did turned up lots of hits for Ford cars and various sports teams. :eek:

Thanks.

I went with the Gentle Typhoons for the 120's and Yate Loon Mids for the 140 applications. I also installed a 120 Yate Loon on the bottom of the front under the bezel and a 140 Yate Loon for my lower 140 radiator.

Feser 360 Xtreme 3 Gentle Typhoons

Corsair H50 with a Yate Loon 120 intake

Stock fans replaced with Yate Loon Mid 140s

GTX 140MM Rad in bottom with Yate Loon 140 in intake

Modded Front Intake Fan with Yate Loon 120 installed

I would've orderd all of the 120's as Gentle Typoons but I already had some Yate Loons

I prefer the Noctua NF-P12 for the top and for my H50. They are very quiet and have a good air flow. Do a search on them and read some of the reviews. I have switched over to them as my standard 120mm fan. They are not cheap but have a long life and are quiet and have good air flow. I have 3 of them in the top on a fan controller and they do an excellent job.

Johnmark,

Can you post specifics on the fans you bought, and why you settled on the GT fans. Also, can you post some URLs for these fans. :o: The Google search I did turned up lots of hits for Ford cars and various sports teams. :eek:

Thanks.

Here is a link http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/051/d1225c12b1ap_detail.html

I choose them because of the CFM and low noise, as well the noise they do make is not obnoxious to me. Everyone perceives sound a little differently and what I think is quiet may be noisy to you, due to pitch, etc.

Here is a link to some fan testing that has been done.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223391

Here is a link http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/051/d1225c12b1ap_detail.html

I choose them because of the CFM and low noise, as well the noise they do make is not obnoxious to me. Everyone perceives sound a little differently and what I think is quiet may be noisy to you, due to pitch, etc.

Here is a link to some fan testing that has been done.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223391

Thanks for all the links!

I read that review and this one for fans for radiators. It list them here

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=34&artpage=4160&articID=936

Quote:

Bottom line:

King of Power @12V = Delta AFBSHE

King of Low Noise @ 12V = Noiseblocker S1

King of CFM per Noise Level/Quality = Gentle Typhoon AP-15

So it depends on what you want but like mentioned before, each fan has a different pitch to it and one that is fine for one person might be like someone scratching their fingernails on a chalkboard to someone else. You may have to experiment. Triebwerks from Feser are also good radiator fans but they are huge 55mm thick.

I have a 360 Radiator in the top so I have 3 fans up top pushing air out, 1 fan on the H50 as an intake, one fan on my bottom radiator pulling air in, and one fan in the front pulling air in over the top of my lower radiator, and the two internal 140mm fans so 8 fans total controlled by two fan controllers and the Motherboard.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=5984&d=1255313666

From my limited understanding of case and radiator fans, there are two different numbers which you should pay attention to. One is CFM, the amount of airflow when there is no restriciton on airflow, and the other is static pressure, which amounts to the amount of air a fan can push given a certain amount of resitance (not sure if this definition is striclty correct about static pressure but it is none the less true about fans). For radiator fans, static pressure is as or more important than cfm flow, because there is alot of resistance to air flow. With a case fan however, this is generally not the case, unless the fan holes are sparse. As such, given your application I think you would be best served by a fan with a higher cfm rating. If you want a very silent rig, there are fans better than the gentle typhoon, as the gentle typhoon is really the best (balanced) radiator fan, not necessarily the best (balanced/silent/performance) case fan. I think the noctua is better as a case fan if you can stand the ugly colors. Check out the article above which reviews 30 different fans, while it was tested with a radiator I think it should still help you in your choice. I own both the gentle typhoons ap-15's and the ultra kaze 2000 rpm fans, and can tell you that the ultra kaze with a fan controller are quite good (despite having a bad rep), although there is no doubt that for the same rpm setting the gentle typhoons are quieter.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=936

OOPS, didnt realize this link had been posted!

Since I originally posted this question we've built the system and have found some heating issues which we believe to be with the fan configuration. As of this moment we're using the case fans in the original configuration along with three Scythe SY1225SL12L's (800RPM, 40CFM, 10.7dBA) pulling air out of the top. 'Not sure if the 3 fans on the top are causing some sort of pressure problem within the case, but something doesn't seem right and we're working on it. Thoughts?

Since I originally posted this question we've built the system and have found some heating issues which we believe to be with the fan configuration. As of this moment we're using the case fans in the original configuration along with three Scythe SY1225SL12L's (800RPM, 40CFM, 10.7dBA) pulling air out of the top. 'Not sure if the 3 fans on the top are causing some sort of pressure problem within the case, but something doesn't seem right and we're working on it. Thoughts?

Reverse the back 140 fan to serve as an additional intake.

I would change your rear fan to an intake as well. you can't really change the lower fans as they are needed for cooling the air loop and hard drives and reversing the top fans isnt really a good option. The rear is the only option that is viable. Are you water cooling at all?

I would like to bump this thread up and ask for any fan recommendations to replace the bottom intake, rear intake, and possibly the HDD fan with 140mm alternatives.

The ones that come with the case as previously brought up from other users really can't do it.

I looked at some of the 140s available and the choices are not nearly as wide as 120s. I personally went with the mid speed Yate Loon 140 as they have a very good CFM to low noise output and they are a very reliable fan.

Fans are very much a personal preference as mentioned above. I have a total of 8 fans in my case (3 Yate Loon 140mm, 2 Yate Loon 120mm, and 3 Scythe Gentle Typhoons (Top Rad)) and it is near perfectly quiet to me. Especially next to my laptop and my girl friends HP which has very loud fans....one day I will replace those or give her my new build if they ever modify the 800d to accept more PCI slots for the new 4 way classified board.

I replaced my exhaust fan with a xion 140mm 83cfm fan I got from my local Microcenter for like $6. Pretty quiet and gets the job done. The stockers are way to weak IMHO. i figured this out too late to change the one that goes from the bottom chamber into the main chamber without taking alot of things apart unfortunately. Just changing the exhaust fan on the main chamber and going push pull through the 360 rad up top seems to have improved things quite a bit. Was WC CPU: 30C, GPU(s): WC 42C AC GPU: 58C at idle now I'm CPU: 24C WC GPU(s): 38C, AC GPU: 51C idle.

This ought to give you some more options on installing either 120 or 140mm fans.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=172&products_id=25703

I think these fans are pretty good to and come in green, red and blue led. They also have 69cfm and 19dba

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=25751

I like them for the price vs performance vs low noise. They have been rated well and I know of a lot of people running them with no troubles. I did have a 120 making some noise at first then worked as it should but I swapped it out anyway. All of my 140's are running fine and quiet.

I have some pics in the Corsair Gallery

Some More Pics

Dallanar

1781756737_SideCoverOffSmaller.jpg.332cc9c600379136d6809e38ae110076.jpg

Looks good, I run medium 120mm Yate Loons for my radiators so I'll get some 140mm for the case.

Another question is have you guys replaced the fan for the top hard drive cage and saw a difference? I really was hoping this case would actually lower the hard drive temps I had from my Lian Li where I stuffed them in the 5 1/4" bays with only passive cooling and it would do no more than 43c but in the 800D the temps are much worse. My 250GB is reading 46 to 47c with the room temp being 22c.

Archived