Corsair Community

Corsair H50 and a TJ09

methimpikehoses

Well I decided to give it a whirl but I can't say I'm too impressed. It's not that it's bad, but it's barely better than my previous Xigmatek Dark Knight 1283 air cooler.

I've tried some different configurations, including setting the rad fan to both intake and exhaust and tinkered with push/pull, but those changes result in little CPU temp variation.

Right now I stopped at push/pull exhaust from the case, with 2 120mm exhaust fans blowing hot air out of the top, and my front top fan intake as well. I replaced the stock thermal grease with AS5 but again the changes were negligible. I am wondering if having the rad right against the chassis is making a difference, but I doubt it.

Still idling at about 41-42C at 4.02ghz, 1.27V. My load temps are better, however, and did not go above 70C on OCCT, although I have not crunched prime95 yet.

The biggest issue is that the radiator can't go on the outside of the case where it probably belongs because the cooling tubes cannot be detached (unless I get a dremel and start cutting large holes in my TJ09). The rad is just on the inside wall of the case, with the Corsair fan pushing from the back outside the case, and one of my Xig fans pulling that cool air past the rad into the case.

I will try re-seating again, and reversing the airflow again, but I'm not expecting any miracles from this product. Many of the reviews had this beating a TRUE, but I don't see it happening.

I'm all ears if anyone has an idea for better configs... my camera is down so unfortunately no pics.

I mounted the radiator to the fan that pulls the air in from the side intakes. Seems to be working ok. Had to take the metal shroud apart to do it. :) Took a few minutes to figure out how to do it.

Here's where I got the idea:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/system-builder-marathon,1797-8.html

Had to move the video card to the 2nd x16 slot but fits perfectly otherwise.

I mounted the radiator to the fan that pulls the air in from the side intakes. Seems to be working ok. Had to take the metal shroud apart to do it. :) Took a few minutes to figure out how to do it.

Here's where I got the idea:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/system-builder-marathon,1797-8.html

Had to move the video card to the 2nd x16 slot but fits perfectly otherwise.

I considered trying that, but having taken the shroud apart before to replace the fan, I didn't want to do it again unless I knew it would work. :laughing:

Please post pics if you get a chance.

For now I have mounted the rad to the top of the case, with a push/pull intake blowing directly down, and exhaust fans out the back and also out of the top. Temps are at about 39C-35C so that's not bad.

Not without taking it apart :biggrin:

It's fairly straight forward though. Once you have the shroud apart it's just a matter of putting the 4 screws that came with the h50 through the corner holes in the fan, then put them through the shroud metal and then into the radiator tabs and tighten.

The only trick is getting the shroud apart. I took the case sides off, disconnected the motherboard and took the tray out. You then use a long screwdriver through the holes in the shroud that face the back of the case to unscrew the 4 screws that hold it to the hard drive cage. When the shroud is separated from the hard drive cage and in in your hand you unscrew the 4 screws at the top and bottom of the shroud. It then comes apart and you can uncrew the fan screws and replace the existing fan with the corsair fan (assuming you want to do this). Reverse steps to reinstall. If you want to plug the fan into the cpu fan plug you will likely need an extension (my motherboard would have needed it).

The only downside to this configuration that I can see is that the radiator exhausts very close to the intake of the video card. I have three fans exhausting out the top and back though so I think the draw through the case is pretty good. Would love to compare against other configurations if corsair or anyone else with an I7-860 and MSI GD80 is reading this. And the loss of the 1st PCI slot of course.

I searched through the house to find a good screwdriver so I am not laughing. The screw at the bottom left looking from the back is the hardest as it is hard to see with the case support in the way. If you had one of those sideways screwdrivers ( one with a 90 degree turn at the end ) you might be able to undo the top and bottom screws without taking it off the hard drive cage.

Of course, you know you won't be happy until you try it now that you know it can be done! :evil: :D:

Oh yeah, getting the screws back in through that long hole is a trick as well. I put them in the holes before I put the shroud back together and put the case on its front. I also had one of those cheap computer tool kits ( what a great investment, use it all the time ) and it had a plastic thing that has little wires out the end to grab small screws that fall. I used it as well. Tape or sticky on the end of the screwdriver would work as well I think.

Archived