Corsair Community

H50 Mounting Hardware

barrd123

:(::(::(:

I purchased a H50 Monday at Best Buy. Got it home and was installing it when I could not seem to get one screw tightened down properly. Apparently the mounting system has been changed since I had a completely different one that what I have seen in the reviews and some pictures posted here.

Anyway, I finally figured out that the metal standoff that goes in the frame on the bottom of the motherboard did not have the threads all the way through so the screw could be tightened. In addition, the frame was now messed up since the stand off had been turning while I was trying to tighten it up. Got the only one Best Buy had here, so drove over to another store, purchased another one, swapped out the parts and finally got it installed.

Works good, is quiet and am happy with the unit.

However, I think the change from a metal bracket to the hard plastic, the small standoffs and other small parts required don't appear to be up to Corsair's usual quality that I have seen before. With all the different cpu sockets out there at this time, the newer ones are probably less costly to include in the package which I understand.

Is there anyway to purchase the original mounting plates?

Thanks....

• Corsair Employees
Unfortunately, the older style mounting brackets will not be available to be purchased individually. The new mounting brackets should not have any durability issues, and if anyone does have a problem with one, we will be happy to send out a replacement.

I figured that the old hardware would not be available. The new style "works" and I do have all the brackets for the various cpu's (untill new ones come out) which of course some people are still waiting on.

If the cooler lasts as long as it says, then maybe we can get new brackets if and when we get new cpu's although by that time it would be better to get another cooler.

Anyway, temps are good, the unit is quiet and I am happy. Thanks.

OMG! This is the same issue as I have! I HATE the new design. I can't get the last screw to go on, the last screw wont go through the plastic thing that goes through the mounting plate. The last "stand off" that goes through the back plate keeps popping back out. I desperately need some new plastic things, maybe some new small screws? Or maybe even some more stand offs? Please respond :) BTW I am in Australia if that matters at all.

Are you tightening each screw totally and then moving onto the next screw, or are you tightening each one a small bit and then moving onto another one, thereby keeping the pressure and screw depth roughly the same across the bracket?

I had the same problem at first...4 of the screws are larger than the other 4. Be sure you have the smaller ones to mount the clip with.

The larger ones are difficult to get through the plastic clips and they appear to fit the radiator. Not sure why they were included as they are not listed in the parts section of the instructions.

Also, the clips tip one way and then seem to "click" slightly in place. Once you get the screw started in the standoff, you should be okay. Also, only tighten each one a little so they are evenly tightened down.

Hope this helps....

Yeah four of them are for the radiator and the small one's are for the mounting clips (little plastic thing's). I tightened them quite a bit but pretty evenly each one. How much do I need to tighten them all? Until they won't tighten anymore? I wish someone would have posted a video of how to install it with the new mounting setup, Corsair at least. I have spent in excess of 3 hours trying to install it lol.

One of the posts I saw talked about tightening until the screw almost comes through the metal standoff. This should be about the same time you can barely tighten anymore without a lot of pressure on the head. I used a small blade screwdriver along with a Phillips head.

Another post said they checked the screws after a couple of days and 3 were somewhat loose and one was pretty loose. After tightening them, the temps dropped back down to what they were in the beginning.

My abient temp in the room is 21-22 degrees Celsius and my Cpu idle is 38 Celsius. Gets to maybe 45 or so under gaming load. Still quiet too....

I have used Artic Silver 5 but MicroCenter was out of it so I picked up some Arctic Alumina compound.

Not surprised at the temps with stock cooler and I assume you used the paste that was already on the cooler.

I had an EnnoTech air cooler and it would run about the same temps but not as quiet. Thus the reason for the H50 plus I had some birthday money as well.

There are some .pdf files at the Arctic Silver website that you might want to review to make sure you are putting the proper amount and placement. It is no longer recommeded to spread the paste over the cpu (at least with Arctic Silver products). Take special note of the instructions for your Core I7. With those low ambient temps you should do pretty well.

Here is a link: http://www.arcticsilver.com/index.html#

Also, be sure to clean the base of the heatsink and cpu with appropriate products also in the .pdf. Hope you get it all working soon....

Thank you all. It's working. Apparently I am blind and stupid. I didn't look to see that the 8 screws that came with it, are different. Four are for Intel, the other four are for AMD, I was using one AMD screw, hence my situation.

I'm using Shin Etsu thermal compound now, $9aud for 1gram, yes, $9!! But I couldn't be bothered evening it out perfectly :p:. I am using it at stock 2.66ghz. On idle they are 10c lower than with stock cooler and thermal paste. I am testing it with Prime 95 right now, temps after 7 minutes are 58, 54, 57, 56. These temps are bad aren't they??? I am using a Scythe 1800RPM fan as exhaust, sucking in air from the case and exhaling it through the back. I cannot fit two fans on my rad because of the HUGE stock cooler that is on the Classified :(:. Oh well, I might experiment changing the direction of the fan and the placement of it when I have to add my SSD and second eVGA GTX 285.

I would recommend that you follow Corsair's suggestion to pull air into the case so the rad will have the coolest air moving through it. I have the Cooler Master HAF with one 230MM in front coming in, one 230mm on the side coming in and one 230mm on top exhausting. I then had to remove a 150mm on the back (where the h50 rad is) and put the 120mm that come with the H50 pulling air into the case. Working pretty well. I did see some other posts about problems with the Classified....

What time is it where you are anyway?

Where did you get the old backplate, screws, etc? RamGuy said they were not available.

It is not soft plastic but actually a hard like bakelite.

Thanks.

I like the other design much more. Is there anyway to find the original mounting plates?

what i don't understand with the new design is how are they applying force to the CPU?

with the old bracket, there are springs that apply force to make sure it's nice and tight, with these new ones, it's just screw, no any form of spring mechanic.

with Zalman, it's a bendy rod. with Thermalright, it's like Corsair's old design, springs.

can someone post some pictures and descriptions of this "new" mounting kit that comes wiht the retail h50? im just curious. i cant understand why they would change a mounting bracket so drastically that it would suck. obviously if this many people are having problems they did something wrong.....

Don't have any pictures but Newegg has the new model now. The change was done to accomdate 3 different Intel boards and only need one bracket. There are (at least in the two boxes that I had) two DIFFERENT size of screws and they look almost the same but they are NOT!

Be sure you get the correct ones for mounting the hold down ring on the cooler. Also, make sure the standoffs have the threads all the way through, one of mine did not and I purchased another H50 and traded out the bad ones for good ones. I am sure that was a fluke but it was impossible to mount the cooler correctly.

Archived