Corsair Community

I have 2 new P128s, What Should I Do?

jv303841

I have 2 P128 SSDs, and my notebook (Dell Precision M4400) holds 2 SATA drives, one in the CDROM bay. I've read a lot of different things I could do, and quite a bit of it conflicts. Should I run 1 for my OS and the other for TEMP/SWAP type of things? Should I setup a RAID 1, RAID 0? Can I somehow create an array across both drives so that I double my MBs/sec? Any help you can provide would be appreciated!! Thank you.

:confused:

Uh, I would definitely not do RAID-0 with these drives. You're basically asking for some failure to wipe out everything on both drive. Others will disagree, but because of the problems that have been surfacing on this board, I would recommend RAID-1. You will get full redundancy and if one drive fails, you're still ok.

Of course, backup. I have a MacPro at home that has one set of RAID-0 (boot) and one set of RAID-1 (data) drives. I won't even put my important data on a RAID-0 using traditional drives, so there's no way I'd recommend it with ssds...

I'm not worried about losing data. I have a solid differential process that I use and am more interested with performance. With that said, raid 1 is out. I don't want redundency especially with an ssd. That seems like an expensive solution to what a solid backup process would be equally effective. However let's

remember that this is my laptop not a SQL server so I don't need to recover my OS in a failure just my files which are well covered with backups.

So with that said, is raid 0 my best option here? I failed to mention that there is also a FileMate expresscard ultra SSD that I also have installed here and it's my E: drive where all my progral files have been installed. This was done before i got my hands on this second P128. So in theory I have 3 SSDs, 2 of them being the P128. Not sure if this changes anything or not. Oh yea, the specs on the expresscard ssd are 110mb/sec and 90mb/sec so joining the expresscard to the raid would be bad considering it's significantly slower than the P128. Lastly my CDROM bay supports ssd drives just fine.

RAMGUY- thanks for providing that link with the performance. I have a question though. How do you format above the 64k stripe size? I have never seen it higher than that slwhen Ive formatted. Also, can you change the stripe size without losing data using something like partition magic?

Archived