Corsair Community

HX3X12G1600C9 - Errors Beyond 1066MHz

MacWynn

I know Ram Guy is the man, and pray he has a life beyond this foum. Seems to be the best way to get an RMA out of Corsair tho. Always got to "The Man."

12 GB HX3X12G1600C9 G Kit, will NOT see RAM properly beyond 1066 MHz.

Using Windows 7 (and OS X) to test and anything above that with or without OC'ing the CPU gets me a mixture of 4, 6, or 8GB reporting in the boot, but both OS's see 12GB in their system profiles but can only access whatever shows up in the BIOS memory post.

I have seated each one one at a time, and checked all the channels, these simply will not work as a kit above 1066.

Can i get an RMA please? I would like to do a cross ship so I will need to know how to get that done, with my cc info of course.

My case #1155154 and any help is appreciated Mr. Guy. :)

Mac Wynn

Tested one at a time at stock 1066 no special settings, all worked.

Ran some other tests but one weird thing is when I power down and leave it alone for about ten mins then come back, it will post with a full 12 at 1333 but set to 1600 in BIOS. Do a reboot after changing BIOS settings for something non OC related and that memory config goes away, sometimes replaced by 8GB, sometimes 4, but at 1066. Both OS'es see all 6 slots populated with 1333 but can't use it.

Didn't change a thing in the BIOS and it didn't lose it's settings but loses connection to the RAM.

Definitely weird new territory for me, been doing computers professionally for 30 years but DDR3 and Core i7/i5 are my new learning curve. :)

Mac Wynn

• Corsair Employees

If you have the same results with this when XMP is enabled I would suggest we go ahead and try replacing the modules, but if you get the same results I would check the CPU socket for bent or miss aligned pins.

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

re testing all the sticks in memtest v4 one at a time now.... Have an RMA in progress.

Q1... Memtest is showing this RAM as PC3-10600 but the newegg page says it is PC3-12800... Why is that?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145235

Q2. Also would I be much better off going with the Dominator set esp if I plan to OC my 920 to 3.6? If stability would be much improved could I pay the diff and upgrade thru the RMA?

thanks Mr. Guy. Or can I call you Ram? Eh, let's not. hehehe

Trying to keep good attitude after days of fighting this,

Mac (chris)

So if this memory was in YOUR system Wired, and say you wanted to run your 920 at 3.4GHz with 1333 (won't even try to go to 1600 right now) what would your settings be?

Suggestions are all over the map on the web but i just got told this by Corsair tech support....

Technical Support We believe you are hitting the limit of the memory controller. Please keep in mind that there will be a lot more stresses on the memory controller on the motherboard when all memory slots are filled; to compensate for these stresses, memory controller will need to run these modules at a slower speed. The CPU can support up to DDR3 1066 only natively, That could be why when you run the memory at DDR3 1066 all 12GB was detected. You can play with QPI voltage a little as we have heard ppl with good amount of success in detected 12GB at 1066 or higher frequency, we suggest min. 1.3v and max 1.6v on QPI. Please note that QPI voltage is not memory voltage.

On an EX58-UD5? Hitting the limit at 1066? Why don't I just buy cheaper ram then?

Most likely not getting something here, trying not to be stupid.

Mac

Haven't OC'd any i7s, so I couldn't answer that with any certainty.

However, that statement's a bit off. The memory controller's in your CPU, not on the motherboard. May want to find out what stepping revision your CPU is (it'll show up on the main screen of CPU-Z). Seems to be a factor in some OCs.

At the last test of 6X modules in at 1600. All doing fine so far.

Next is to see if it will even boot to 12GB at 1600 with basic config, then check stepping of CPU. Actually need to reseat the V8 cooler too while I am in ther. :(

If that works I will try to do some OC'ing.

Q tho,... If I can get a certain OC to run and recognize all 12GB I am wondering, can I only OC the RAM to a corresponding GHz rating, i.e. 3.2GHz at 1600, then going to 3.6GHz at 180o for the RAM?

I iwll get the timings and voltages soon here, I am pretty sure I "get it" but just now need to test. Like to know what I am doing first. Usually. :)

Mac

Archived