Corsair Community

2 pairs of of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX ... end of rope

scotttgold

I've been having cold boot issues with my ASUS P5E WS board and this ram for some time now. I've tried every test imaginable and nothing works until I pull out 2 dimms of this ram and run only 4G.

I really want to run 8G but the cold boot problems are killing me!

Note on cold boot problem:

On cold boot, the system will not post anything...yet the fans will run at high speed. After letting it run like this for ten minutes....I can hit the reset button and the machine will post and boot just fine. I can even run Memtest for 10+ after this type of warm-up and will have no errors with 8G or 4G installed.

All my BIOS settings are AUTO...but I would eventually like to lightly OC this rig with 8G to 2.8Ghz or 3.0Ghz.

I am aware of issues with 4 DIMMS populated but not sure of what my settings should be for 8G of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX on this board. Can someone offer some suggestions or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Update: Didn't work.

Changed the DRAM voltage to 2.1v and still had the cold boot issue this morning. All symptoms exactly the same.

I'm wondering what in the world would need 5 to 10 minutes of warming up to work properly. I've checked to see if everything is seated properly and it is.

Here's some more info that might help:

http://www.venture-multimedia.com/photoshoots/cpuz.jpg

http://www.venture-multimedia.com/photoshoots/hardware.jpg

Leave the memory voltage at 2.1v. Now, you'll need to adjust your memory controller voltage. Try the 1.35v to 1.4v range.

Ok. Is the memory controller voltage called something else in the BIOS? Sorry, but I don't seem to see anything called that. Also, is there a way to monitor those voltages?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please familiarize yourself with your manual and BIOS. Look at your hardware monitor in the BIOS. If the memory controller voltage is not listed there or in the manual, you'll need to check with ASUS.

If I had to guess, stock is 1.25v but, that would only be a guess as it can vary from board to board.

UPDATE:

I've been super busy lately and haven't had time to update the NB Voltage to 1.35v......I'll do that tonight though so we can see what happens in the morning.

However, I discovered something interesting. All this weekend I decided to put my computer to "Sleep" rather than "Shut Down". I noticed that even after letting the computer sit overnight and turning it on....it didn't' have any cold boot problems. I'm wondering if this helps prove what is causing my cold boot issues? I'm also wondering what is the exact difference between the Shut Down and Sleep states that makes such a difference in cold booting.

I'm running the most recent version of the boards BIOS.

As for default setting.....I have no clue. The board has always been set to AUTO and it does not state NB voltage in the BIOS, manual or other places. I wish there was a monitoring app that can tell me NB voltage.

The BIOS is funky in that, you can't turn off AUTO and then see a voltage displayed. It always reads AUTO, until you select the text and type in your desired voltage.

It's either AUTO or the voltage you type in. Does that make sense?

Also, there are no NB voltage readings being displayed anywhere in the BIOS.....I know, it's nuts!

However, it does state a voltage range in the manual through 1.25V~1.90V

Archived