Corsair Community

H50-1 Installation

davidald

My H50 is now installed on my I5 system and the results are better than I expected.

Just a couple of pointers for those yet to instal the H50 on an 1156 Mobo:

The H50 comes with 8 screws. 4 have larger threads, do not use these with the 1156 bracket.

There is also a quick setup sheet showing where to place the backplate pins in the universal backplate. The locations were incorrect for the 1156 guide.. Highly recommend you remove mobo rather than try and instal through a mobo tray access hole.

Some people have recommended disabling fan control in BIOS. As long as the Pump cable is connected to a mobo fan header (not CPU fan header) then I can not see the need for this.

Some people have recommended disabling fan control in BIOS. As long as the Pump cable is connected to a mobo fan header (not CPU fan header) then I can not see the need for this.

"some people" including corsair themselves and me. if you don't then the fan/pump/ what ever is plugged in will not spin at full speed all the time, meaning the liquid will get hot and temperatures will be high even when the rpm reaches maximum.

thats the need.

You are arguing with 4 cores at 100% load from the prime torture test with an average temp of 47deg after 2 hours. The fan will increase speed under load. There is no need unless you are overclocking which does not interest me.

The instructions that come with the H50 make no reference to disabling fan control.

You are arguing with 4 cores at 100% load from the prime torture test with an average temp of 47deg after 2 hours. The fan will increase speed under load. There is no need unless you are overclocking which does not interest me.

The instructions that come with the H50 make no reference to disabling fan control.

Im not trying to ruin your moment here, nor attack you personally, but i felt i had to speak up before mixed messages started flying everywhere.

cooling performance is usually better with fan control is turned off in the bios, no matter which fan plug you use. And for people experiencing temperature problems (obviously not yourself, unless those are false readings) then this is the first place to look.

LOL I am not offended and I assumed your response was a professional one campbelln97. My results would be partly because I am using an ***** Skeleton case so my case temps are the same as outside ambients. I have to wonder though about the variance people are getting. I believe its partly a DIY issue.

• Corsair Employee
hang on.. I thought the pump went to the cpu fan connector? that isnt so?

I saw on a review that the fan power connector went to the cpu fan connector.

So, which is it? where does the pump get plugged into? and where does the fan get plugged in?

You can plug it into either one, just make sure that the motherboard is not throttling the power that is coming from the header on the board.

You can plug it into either one, just make sure that the motherboard is not throttling the power that is coming from the header on the board.

The instructions from Corsair state that the pump should be connected to a mobo fan header and the fan should be connected to the CPU fan header. I think you will find the fan connector is 4 pin for this purpose, to allow the system to control the fan speed. If you are overclocking I guess having the fan run @ max all the time makes sense.

hang on.. I thought the pump went to the cpu fan connector? that isnt so?

I saw on a review that the fan power connector went to the cpu fan connector.

So, which is it? where does the pump get plugged into? and where does the fan get plugged in?

It makes no difference where you plug the pump as long as the connector supplies full voltage and does not vary the voltage according to temp. I have mine connected to the CPU fan connector but others have them connected to the closest fan connector. The fan control is disabled in the bios. Pump speed should be around 1400 rpm. I have the fan connected to a front mounted speed controller. The fan can be connected to the cpu connector if you want the speed to vary according to temperature.

• 2 months later...

Archived