Corsair Community

how to restore the performance of a P128 with old firmware

tfannon

FW: VBM1801Q

I would like to know the best method of restoring performance to a drive with this firmware.

I was planning on doing a quick format and then letting the Windows 7 Backup / Restore utility put the image back on the drive.

Will this work or do I need to use a cleaning utility.

Thank you

Tommy

PS: i apologize as this question was asked by me in another thread but i think it got lost in the middle.

Ok. I can tell you that doing a quick format does NOT restore performance.

CrystalDiskMark numbers after quick format:

Seq: 169/65

512: 141/56

4k: 21.34/8.427

After GPARTED erase

Seq: 221/179

512: 177/141

4k: 20/8.0

So, bottom line is the disk needs to be wiped by something other than quick format.

the gparted command did the trick unless you think those numbers above are bad.

after my next business trip, i may call to have the drive flashed to the self-healing firmware. gparting and restoring an image once every 2 months is somewhat of a pain in the ***.

can i contact you directly?

thanks.

I'm in the same boat. Drive was installed on 6/24 with no HDDERASE or GPART done to it.

FW: VBM1801Q

Seq: 188.6/26.15

512: 152.6/27.75

4k: 25.64/1.59

Guess I need to GPART it, as it's got to the point that it's noticeably slower. Samsung needs to get off their ***, and release an update utility asap. :mad:

Okay I used the gpart utility, but I didn't use the drive on via usb.

My results after this operation are not very good at all.

Seq: 179.1/47.89

512: 168.6/44.83

4k: 24.43/1.82

Does it make a difference if you run it via SATA or USB? I was hoping for much better results. My old WD writes this fast. What has happened to my SSD? :(:

Please run the HDD Erase again and then before you image the drive quick format the partition and run the test on the drive with no O.S. on it.

The drive died on me Saturday while I was playing NFS Shift, so I had to RMA it. Just disappeared from the bios. I've never had to use Corsair's RMA before, but so far it's very painless.

Thanks for trying to help though!

Going back to a mechanical drive while I wait is painful. :laughing:

Quick question about what I should do when I get my new drive. Sorry if this has been posted, but I didn't really find much in the sticky.

Is there anything I should do to prep the new drive before I dump my image back on it with trueimage? I've heard people talk about prepping the drive by setting a specific block size. I've never done this outside of RAID 0 setups.

Is this something that I need to consider, or should I just drop the drive image I have on to the new drive?

• 3 weeks later...

New drive is much better. Although it's still new. I did get the latest firmware on this one, so I hope the self healing will keep my speeds closer to where they should be.

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/3156/capturecj.png

I do have to say that the RMA process was much slower than I expected it to be. They dropped the ball on recognizing they had received it, and it took over 8 days longer than it probably should have. :sigh!:

That's not exactly the level of customer service I've come to expect from Corsair.

Archived