Corsair Community

Asus P5K-E Only seeing 6GB of Ram

glocker

I have an ASUS P5K-E mobo that I have been running 4GB (2x2) of TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX RAM for over 2 years with no problems. They are running in the paired slots.

Last night I added an additional 4GB (2x2) to the other empty paired slots on the mobo. Same exact RAM, TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX.

Upon reboot, the P5K-E bios only saw 6GB of Ram. I flashed to the latest BIOS from Asus, but upon reboot, the bios still only saw 6GB of ram.

I haven't had time yet to physically swap the DIMMs around to see if I have a bad DIMM or a bad MOBO memory slot.

All of my BIOS settings for the RAM are set to default/auto. I wanted to check here to see if there is some voltage adjustment or other adjustment I need to do to get the BIOS to see all 8GB of Ram.

thanks,

dave

I swapped the pairs of ram modules around and verifed that the old ram booted in the "new" slots on the MOBO, the new ram booted in the old slots on the MOBO, and the new ram booted in the new slots. One pair at a time, so the BIOS only ever saw 4GB of ram.

This verified that the RAM was good and the slots on the MOBO were good. I learned that the MOBO would post only if slots 1/2/3 were filled (giving 6GB of ram) but would not post if only slots 1/2/4 were filled.

After some strange beeps/no posts, I finally got the BIOS to see all 8 GB of RAM. My only thought is that I didn't have slot #4 100% seated last night causing my 6GB issue.

I will run memtest to make sure I don't have a module that is borderline and just behaving better now because it is in a different slot on the MOBO

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Right now everything seems stable using the Auto settings in the BIOS.

Memtest ran with no failures. I only ran it for one pass. So if things start to give me problems, I'll go with your settings.

thanks,

dave

Archived