Corsair Community

CPU's FSB 1333 and DDR2 PC-8500?

SolvAr

Hello,

I am in the process of building a new system, which will be Windows XP Home SP2 32bit based.

The motherboard will be an Asus P5Q-E and the CPU an Intel E8600, which FSB is 1333. The motherbaord chipset is the Intel P45.

I'm about to place an order on the Corsair DDR2 Dominator 2*2Gb (5/5/5/15)

TWIN2X4096-8500C5D, but I want to make sure I wont face any issues, given that the CPU FSB is 1333, so I understand the optimal memory would be PC2-5300. What difference will make some PC2-8500 ? Better performance or just useless?

Also, I read on the Corsair website that 4Gb on a 32bit OS wont cause any problem, yet I want to be sure, given that the graphic card I am buying has 1Gb memory.

Could you please be so kind and tell me if the DDR2 Dominator PC8500 will suit the system I'm planning to built?

Thanks in adance.

Thank you for that short answer Sir.

May I just beg for another last short answer to that question:

in term of performance, what if the CPU's FSB and RAM arent on a 1:1 ratio (which will be the case with memory speed at 1066 as opposed to some speed at 667 (PC 5300) ?

I actually made up my mind on the PC2-8500 since I might want to overclock the E8500 a bit, and I wanted some Dominator or XMS.

I've been a happy Corsair customer for years now, I will use the TX650 PSU and a SSD 32gb hard drive for my new pc.

Thank you again!

Regards

• Corsair Employees
It really depends on the chipset and what it is optimized for, in this case the chipset is optimized for the CPU FSB or 1066 or 1333 with the memory frequency at DDR800 or DDR1066 respectivly. So 2:1 is optimal for that chipset.

Thanks , I finally bought the whole deal and mounted the PC. I finally bought the DDR2 Dominator PC8500. What I dont understand though, is why the motherboard, an Asus P5Q-E, automatically set the memory speed to 800 instead of 1066. Isnt there any issue there?

CPU-Z on the other hand displays a DRAM frequency at 533Mhz and a FSB/RAM ratio of 5:8, and shows in the memory menu a 'max bandwidth PC2-6400 at 800Mhz. May I ask, what if in the BIOS I force the memory to 1066?

Thank you for your inputs.

• Corsair Employees
That is normal the modules SPD has to be set to something the MB can post at with default Voltage IE DDR800 Cas 5-5-5-18 at 1.8 Volts and the tested settings Cas 5-5-5-15 at DDR1066 2.1 Volts would need to be manually set in the BIOS setup normally under the Jumper Free menu, please check the manual in section 4.

Archived