Corsair Community

Refurb sticker on back of 32gb Flash Voyager package and can't format

NIKOLAS

Hello all.

Today I bought a 32gb Voyager USB stick that was on "special" from GameDude in Brisbane and after I got it home I noticed that there was a little sticker saying "Refurb" on it. They never mentioned anything on the site that these were USB sticks that had been refurbished and surprise surprise I was unable to format this stick despite trying and following all suggestions on the first two pages of this sub-forum.

I was wondering if I had done anything wrong as when I stuck it in my computer, even though it showed up as a removable drive/disk, it didn't appear to be formatted under Fat32 or NTFS and as I mentioned above I was unable to format it to anything.

When I rang GameDude to ask what the Refurb sticker meant, I got some unconvincing answer to suggest that it was put on the stick to indicate that there was only a 12 month warranty, but that the stick hadn't previously been returned as faulty.

Does it have any characters on the USB connection or on the LED?

I don't know, I have given it to my brother to return to the store to get a refund.

Since it's non functional I'd ask for a refund from them and ask for a new one.

I am going to ask for a refund, but the fact that a "Refurb" product was for sale has left me with a sour taste in my mouth, so for the first time I will buy a non-Corsair USB stick, from a different retailer.

If their USB stick gives me no grief, I will probably also buy that brand of RAM in my next computer purchase in early 2010.

Corsair doesn't sell refurb drives normally, so I wouldn't place the blame on them as of yet. I'd find out the facts first.

I still have the USB stick at this stage. When my brother went to GameDude they told him that a 32gb Flash stick requires more power than the smaller capacity Flash sticks and that my problems must have been due to not putting it into a higher powered USB port in my computer?

Does this sound right to you?

I know that my 16Gb Corsair Voyager GT worked in the same USB port that this 32gb isn't working in.

Anyway my brother tried it on his computer and apparently it didn't work on some of his USB ports but did on others, so he has formatted it to NTFS, but I don't know how I will go when I just try to transfer data to it from the USB port it didn't work in last night.

As for finding out more about Corsair and refurbished Flash sticks, who would I ask?

As long as it's a powered USB port, that's all you should need. Powered USB ports provide 500mA (USB 2.0 spec). Sometimes front USB ports aren't powered (or at least as much as they should be), whereas USB ports that are directly on the motherboard on the back should always be powered. On both your PC and your brother's PC, do you know which ports it worked / didn't work on?

When my brother drops the stick over to me I'll quiz him on which ones it worked for on his computer, and on my computer I only tried one of the USB ports that came as part of my computer's case, not one of the USB ports at the back of my computer.

Previously all my memory sticks have worked on the same USB port that this 32gb stick didn't work on last night.

I'll obviously now try it on the USB port at the back of my computer.

Ahhhh GREAT.

My brother rings me to now tell me that on none of his USB ports does this memory stick now work, so once again I am back to him taking it to GameDude again to see what bull**** they are going to speak to get out of refunding the money.

REFURB FTW

What country was the Flash drive purchased. As far as I know we don't sell refurbs.

Australia, in the city of Brisbane.

They list the 32gb stick from Corsair as being on "Special"

Here is the webpage of the site :

http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show.php?art_no=memCOpen_32g

http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_list.php?maingroup=MEMORY&secondgroup=USB PEN DRIVE

http://www.gamedude.com.au/

My brother ended up getting the refund from GameDude, so as I don't feel so aggravated anymore, then Corsair is still in the running to supply the RAM I will be putting into 3 computers around Xmas time.

I did end up with a non-Corsair 32gb Flash stick from another store though.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry about that and I do understand but the refurbished drives that have been sold were to be sold with another product as a give away not to be sold as a stand alone product. I will ask our Sales Manager to look into this.

Archived