Corsair Community

Asus M4A79T Deluxe

oliveroms

Hi,

I was looking at the Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard using an AMD 790FX chipset, but have some memory questions. The Qualified Vendor List (QVL) on the asus site lists some memory modules but does specifically mention that the board won't take 4 of those modules. E.g. it says 2 modules in the two orange/black/blue slots will only work, but not in all 4 slots. E.g. this list on the bottom of the document:

4 Dimm :
• A*: Supports one module inserted in any slot as Single-channel memory configuration
• B*: Supports one pair of modules inserted into eithor the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration
• C*: Supports 4 modules inserted into both the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration

What I'd want ideally, would be to use 4x4 or, 2x4GB initially of DDR3 ram. I did notice however there doesn't exist any 4GB modules yet, so I'd have to settle with 2x2GB at first. My question is thus, IF corsair releases 4GB modules, will i be even able to use those? e.g. as 2x2 and 2x4GB giveing me 12GB? I noticed there's the 3x4GB kits, which would be perfect if it where 2x or 4x 4GB, but even so, would it even work? The QVL more or less says no.

I'll be using gentoo 64bit on it so adressing etc won't be the issue etc.

Of course, I could get a 3x4GB kit and only use 2 modules of it. Or get two of those kits and use the 2 extra's sometime later/sell them, then again, the list also says those aren't supported in 4somes.

Also, since all AMD cpu's do ECC in the memory controller, what are the options on ECC memory?

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but most likely not, mixing memory is never suggested and I cannot suggest it. Now that being said you are welcome to try it but we would not test twin sets in a 4 up configuration and for sure we would not test mixed memory. I would suggest getting the memory you plan on using and not try mixing memory.

The obvious problem herein lies, that Corsair does not offer 4x kits!! So I wouldn't be able to do 2x8GB or 4x4GB though the motherboard does claim to support 16Gig max.

And I can't seem to find ECC ram at all on the corsair site. So what are my corsair options to get 16GB, preferably ECC'ed? I can only think of 2x4GB + 2x4GB, aka getting two TwinX kits and use them together. I'm not interested in maximizing the speed of the ram, this won't be a gaming rig or anything like that.

They do have 8 GB kits (under the i5 section), but they're 4 sticks of 2 GB each. Since they don't currently make 4 GB sticks, you're limited to 8 GB of DDR3 Corsair memory.

What will this system be used for, AutoCAD, video editing, database server?

Archived