Corsair Community

HX750W high pitched whine

psm321

I just installed a HX750W to replace my old (non-Corsair) power supply. I'm getting a significant (not ear-splitting, but loud enough to be bothersome) high-pitched whine. I'm not sure whether it's coming from the power supply itself or the fan, or even some other component that the power supply is causing to act weird.

I had borrowed a TX750W from work as an interim measure when my old one failed, and that did not have the whine (in fact it worked so well that it encouraged me to go with Corsair). Is this a known problem with the HX750W? And if so, can I "downgrade" to a TX750W without involving the retailer? Also, could this whine be indicative of anything being damaged by the power supply? (i.e. can I keep my computer running for now?)

I do hope there's a solution, because I cannot stand this whine :( Based on other threads I'm guessing I'm probably going to be asked to RMA and be stuck with shipping for a brand new supply, but oh well, as long as that fixes it I guess...

P.S. totally off-topic... has Corsair changed the velvet bag lately? It had rave reviews on Newegg but the one I got is pretty sheap-feeling. (Note that I'm not complaining in the least, couldn't care less about the bag, was just curious if people were raving about the same bag that I got which doesn't seem rave-worthy)

I am getting the whine sometimes as well, have the same PSU as you but i'm trying to put up with it for now as i should be doing a rebuild soon and will see if the whine is still there then, if it is then i'll look into it further, new rig will be very quiet so last thing i need will be a whining PSU when all is done,

All1

• Corsair Employees

We can replace a PSU at any time if you believe that the PSU is the cause of the problem. We have seen that the whine is usually coming from a capacitor on either the PSU, motherboard, or video card in most cases. If possible I would recommend testing the PSU in a different system to see if the noise follows the PSU.

If you would like to get the PSU replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

You may also want to check to see if you get the same whine when running in safe mode. If running in safe mode resolves the problem then I would suspect that the problem has to do with either the chipset or video card drivers, and you may want to make sure you have the latest versions of each.

As far as the velvet bag, I am actually not sure if the HX750 has a different bag than other PSUs or if all the bags were changed to a different material at some point in time.

Hi RamGuy,

I run Linux so no safe mode, but I get the whine from physical power on. I don't have anywhere else to test the PSU but like I mentioned my previous other-brand PSU and my temporary TX750W did not produce the whine.

I actually went ahead and filed a support form this morning before you replied. Should I file another one, or is there some way to put my "talked to Ram Guy" in the existing one?

Also, if a RMA swap-out does not fix things for me, is there some way to switch to a TX750W?

• 10 months later...
So, back when I first posted this, I RMA'd once, got a power supply with the same problem, them RMA'd again and this time they said they'd test it before sending it out. That one worked fine until today. As of today, the annoying high-pitched whine is back in full force. Is there any way for me to get a refund or exchange for a different model or something? I am tired of having to schedule downtime for my PC (and having to put up with the whine for weeks while waiting for the replacement and time to do it) for something which I now consider to be a systematic problem with this model.

Sigh, I have this EXACT same PSU and problem! I've had my HX750 for a few months now and I've always thought the slight buzz/whine noise was my fan. I replaced the fan today and I finally narrowed it down to my PSU. OMG is it annoying...

psm321, it doesn't seem like the replacements have been working out for you :(

Also, does Corsair ship the replacement first or do we have to ship off first? I hate to be without a PC...

Hi truciet,

Mine is actually a very loud high-pitched (but not crazy only teens can hear high pitched like a crt) noise. It does not sound like a transformer hum like some either people have described for their problems. Back when I did the 2 RMAs they were willing to do an advance ship on request. However, I did have to pay to ship back both times. With how heavy these are, that can get quite expensive. So basically at this point I'm out ~$170 or so for what I thought would be a high quality power supply be a reputable manufacturer that I wouldn't have to replace every few years like I had to in the past with a $30-$60 one, but instead ended up with one that I have to replace _more_ frequently. Because my system is almost constantly in use, that means I also have to tolerate that annoying high pitched noise until I can schedule a time to replace it.

That's why at this point I really just want a refund so I can go back to a $50 power supply that actually works without driving me crazy. I do _not_ want to be stuck in an infinite cycle of "rma a few times to get something that works, and then start over again a few months later" until "whoops, out of warranty and you're now stuck with a [by that time, with accumulated shipping] $200+ brick". So I really hope they can work out some sort of refund arrangement with me.

Sorry for all the venting, this is just really frustrating.

• Corsair Employees

I can understand your frustration, please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to see what options may be available for you.

If you have not read this thread then check it out and make sure that there is not some other issue that is causing the PSU to buzz. There are two reasons why the PSU may buzz, its defective, or its buzzing in response to some other cause. Some of the other causes we have seen is with graphics card drivers, and power saving features in the BIOS. If you are repeatedly having the same results when replacing the PSU, then its likely that the root of the problem lies with the graphics card or motherboard. To confirm this, you could test the PSU in a different system and see if the buzzing is replicable.

Hi Ram Guy,

Like I said, it's not a buzz, but just a constant (Really Loud!) whine. And I'm not buying this BS about it being the motherboard or graphics card or CPU power management, because my previous power supplies never had this problem (and my 3rd one of this model didn't for a few months), and most importantly it happens even if I power it on with nothing connected (at least it did with the previous units), which rules out it being any of my other components.

I think it's obviously a design defect since there are so many complaints, that Corsair does not want to admit to, and instead keeps blaming other things. This really hurts my confidence in the company and makes me think twice before buying anything from you again (I have bought RAM from Corsair before this and never had any problems, but if you won't acknowledge design flaws and fix them for power supplies, that hurts my confidence that you would do anything for a similar RAM flaw).

Corsair really ought to acknowledge the flaw instead of trying to pawn off blame, fix it, and send the fixed model to customers RMA'ing. Or at least offer refunds instead of replacement for RMA for customers who simply don't want to deal with the headache and hassle of constantly replacing an expensive PSU because you won't fix the design flaw, when they could just go with a cheaper one and have less of a headache to deal with.

Sorry, not a defect. It can happen regardless of PSU manufacturer.

If the issue were purely related to the way our PSUs are built it would be an easy fix, however there are many different factors which can cause the PSU to buzz, and if you look around, there is no one particular brand or model of PSU that is prone to buzzing, but its widespread among many high efficiency PSUs.

Here is a thread which goes over a few of the possible causes and solutions that we have found: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85166

If the fixes here do not resolve the problem, then we can try replacing the unit for you. If you have the same problems with a replacement unit, then the next thing to try would be to replace the motherboard.

Archived