Corsair Community

question

c4urs11

Hi,

I am wondering how this support vs. no support is processed.

Is this solely decided from SPD information, or could it be manipulated via BIOS settings?

I am looking around for a new rig, using a Gigabyte UD5 and was considering 1600 modules to have more headroom when overclocking.

Or is this a totally wrong assumption?

Thanks.

Please clarify your question. FYI you can find compatible memory with your motherboard using the memory finder on the left. Memory can be limited by your CPU's FSB.

Oops! That was meant to be "GA-EX58-UD5".

If I was to populate such board with say 6 modules 1600MHz memory, would three channel mode be impossible because of detected memory speed rating beyond supported?

Thanks.

If the manual for the GA-EX58-UD5 states that it does not support 6 slots @ 1600 then you'd simply get 6 sticks @ 1333.

There is no such thing as Dual / Triple Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual or triple channel.

In otherwords if you're using 3/6 sticks, it's triple channel.

FYI it's best to get one 6 stick kit instead of two 3 stick kits, as the former is tested whereas the latter isn't.

FYI it's best to get one 6 stick kit instead of two 3 stick kits, as the former is tested whereas the latter isn't.

Thanks for the info!

6 stick kit versus two 3 stick kits: would this mean that slight differences between production runs make the difference? (assuming two 3 stick kits with exact identical specifications)

Archived