Corsair Community

TR3X6G1600C8 instability at 1600MHz

djk5

I'm having problems getting this kit of TR3X6G1600C8 to run stable at 1600MHz.

In Windows the system will lock up when running SuperPi Mod 1.5

Memtest86+ version 4.00 has run for 10 passes without errors.

At 1066MHz SuperPi completes its runs fine.

This is on an Evga X58 3X SLI board. In BIOS everything is Auto. XMP Profile 1 is set. Timings are 8-8-8-24 with 1T Command Rate at 1.65V. VTT is +200mV. QPI PLL VCore is 1.3.

I have tried adjusting VTT and QPI PLL VCore up and down a few notches with no success.

Also in Memtest86+ it says:

Memory SPD Informations

-Slot 0 : 2048 MB PC-10600 - Corsair CM3X2G1600C8

Isn't this a PC-12800 kit with the model number TR3X6G1600C8?

Is Memtest86+ reading it wrong? Are these kits 1333MHz parts that were tested to also run at 1600MHz?

Any ideas to get this kit stable at 1600MHz in Windows would be great.

I have recently discovered if I increased my DIMM voltage to 1.750v that my RAM would be stable at 1600Mhz. They are rated at 1.65v but for some reason they just work at a higher voltage. Everything is set to default in my BIOS except the RAM timings and DIMM voltage. You could try adjusting that then run HyperPI or SuperPI and see if makes a complete pass.

Here is a thread we have been discussing this issue:

EVGA X58 3X SLI and TR3X6G1600C8D

1.75V seems high. I heard Intel doesn't recommend over 1.65V. I will try raising up VDIMM for some quick tests with SuperPI though.

In Memtest86+ v4.00 what do your sticks say for SPD Informations? I'm wondering if I got the wrong DIMMs in my package.

I'm going to look at that thread but I think my RAM is a different model number.

SPD: Slot 0 : 2048 MB PC3-10600 - Corsair CM3X2G1600C8D

Memtest86+ v4.0 Screenshot

1.75V seems high. I heard Intel doesn't recommend over 1.65V. I will try raising up VDIMM for some quick tests with SuperPI though.

I thought it was a bit high too. But I have nothing to go by except thousands of opinions on what is right from different members of various forums. And as far as Intel's stance on the issue:

Integrated memory controller enables three channels of DDR3 1066 MHz memory, resulting in up to 25.6 GB/sec memory bandwidth. This memory controller's lower latency and higher memory bandwidth delivers amazing performance for data-intensive applications.

I bet they would not even recommend anything over the 1066Mhz to begin with (1600Mhz is out in the enthusiast territory).

What RAM GUY has to say

I would lower the CPU multiplier to 7 or 8 and see if that makes a difference but as long as you dont go over 2.0 Volts on the memory you should be fine.

Here is the thread where the quote can be found

CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 Voltage config.

What JEDEC has to say

According to JEDEC[2] the maximum recommended voltage is 1.575 volts and should be considered the absolute maximum when memory stability is the foremost consideration, such as in servers or other mission critical devices. In addition, JEDEC states that memory modules must withstand up to 1.975 volts before incurring permanent damage, although they are not required to function correctly at that level.

The JEDEC "maximum" recommended voltage is 1.575v and all 1600Mhz RAM is going to be right at that or above. I am starting to believe that perhaps this is similar to the safety sticker they put on ATVs, Motorcycles, etc. It's probably just a "play it safe" recommendation more than a solid none flexible rule.

Thanks, that's a lot of good info.

I guess I'm relieved to know Memtest86+ reads all these kits as PC-10600 and its not just mine.

I tried raising the voltage to 1.7V, 1.725V and 1.75V but I still can't get the system to run at 1600MHz stable.

I'm wondering if I should RMA this set and hope for better luck with a replacement.

Before shipping is it possible to test the RMA kit on the same model motherboard to make sure they will run stable at 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 1.65V as specified on the sticker?

Wired is correct. As long as the DIMM voltage is within .5 of the CPU VTT you're fine.

So if DIMM voltage is 1.75, you're going to want at least 1.25 for the VTT (though you should try to keep it with .45 of each other to account for voltage fluctuations just to be on the safe side).

I read an article somewhere that stated 1.65 is the recommended max by Intel, but the EVGA boards can handle much higher voltages as long as you're within .5 of the VTT.

Link: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100494809&mpage=1&key

Taken from that thread:

DIMM Voltage (default: 1.5V, Intel's max 1.65)

What it does:

Voltage to the RAM. Despite Intel's warnings, you can raise voltage beyond 1.65 as long as it is always within 0.5V of VTT (as described above).

When to raise DIMM Voltage :

* High performance/gaming RAM usually requires at least 1.65v to run at spec. Some manage to get it slightly lower.

* Stable bclks over 180 often require VDIMM beyond 1.65V. Remember to keep VTT voltage within 0.5V of VDIMM.

You know DIMM Voltage is too high when:

* Memory is too hot. [more info on this is needed]

A handful of people have been having issues with EVGA/Corsair Domintor motherboard/memory combo. This has resulted in several hours (days in my case) of unsuccessful voltage changes/timing adjustments. I'm not sure if it's a bad batch of the Dominators or if the sticks just don't like the EVGA boards, but you're not alone. I should know more in the next couple of days if an RMA is successful as Newegg has just received my RMA and is processing them now.

Hi RAMGUY,

I have XMP enabled and I also tried setting the DIMM voltage from 1.65V up to 1.75V from kizzie's advice but it still won't run through SuperPi in Windows without locking up. I have the CPU VTT at +300mV right now and tried each +25mV notch from +100mV up to +400mV.

Could the modules I have be bad? I'm not sure what else I can try in the BIOS to get this kit running at 1600MHz stable but I'm open to more suggestions.

Hi RAMGUY,

I have XMP enabled and I also tried setting the DIMM voltage from 1.65V up to 1.75V from kizzie's advice but it still won't run through SuperPi in Windows without locking up. I have the CPU VTT at +300mV right now and tried each +25mV notch from +100mV up to +400mV.

Could the modules I have be bad? I'm not sure what else I can try in the BIOS to get this kit running at 1600MHz stable but I'm open to more suggestions.

I was having some problems with this kit earlier today/last night as well. I was getting rounding errors and freezes on Prime95 after minutes. I don't know if you goal is to overclock but I will put my mobo template up for you and you can maybe give it a shot. It seems like the voltage combination's have to be pretty specific for this RAM to work right.

Mother Board ( EVGA X58 3x SLI E-758 )

Drivers ( )

Bios ( S22S )

CPU ( 920 D0 ) (with 920's please also add the stepping CO or DO)

Memory ( Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D )

PSU ( Corsair HX850 )

GPU ( GTX275+ X 2, 8800GT )

Drivers ( 191.07 )

Operating System ( Windows 7 64 Ultimate )

Frequency Control

CPU Clock Ratio ( 19X )

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ( 200 )

MCH Strap ( Auto )

CPU Uncore Frequency (Mhz) ( ~3400Mhz { 17X } ) <- Has to be twice your RAM multiplier or twice +1, IE my multiplier is 2:8 so uncore is 17x

CPU Clock Skew ( 0 ps )

Spread Spectrum ( Disabled )

PCIE Frequency (Mhz) ( 100 )

Memory Feature

Memory Speed ( XMP Profile 1 )

Memory Control Setting ( Enabled )

Memory Frequency ( 1066Mhz / 2:8 )

Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )

Rank Interleave Setting ( 4 Way )

Memory Low Gap ( Auto )

tCL Setting ( 8 )

tRCD Setting ( 8 )

tRP Setting ( 8 )

tRAS Setting ( 24 )

tRFC Setting ( 88 )

Command Rate ( 1T )

Some of you guys seem like you have your timings too tight, might be causing problems?

Voltage Control

EVGA VDroop Control ( Without VDroop )

CPU VCore ( 1.26 )

CPU VTT Voltage ( +200 )

CPU PLL VCore ( Auto )

IOH PLL VCore ( Auto )

*DIMM Voltage ( 1.65 )

DIMM DQ Vref ( +0mV )

*QPI PLL VCore ( 1.35 )

IOH VCore ( 1.25 )

IOH/ICH I/O Voltage ( Auto )

PWM Frequency ( 800 )

CPU Feature

Intel SpeedStep ( Disabled )

Turbo Mode Function ( Disabled )

CxE Function ( Disabled )

Execute Disable Bit ( Disabled )

Virtualization Technology ( Disabled )

Intel HT Technology ( Enabled )

Active Processor Cores ( All )

QPI Control Settings ( Enabled )

QPI Link Fast Mode ( Enabled )

QPI Frequency Selection ( 4.800 GT/s ) <--I've been told this is important for stable overclocking

OC Recorvery ( Enabled )

The * items are what Corsair stated they tested the RAM at 1600 on in their test system. My memory errors went away once I adjusted my QPI to 1.35 from the stock 1.1

Hope you guys get it figured out, can't believe how many people have the exact same setup I have :-) Makes me feel like I picked good stuff.

Archived