Corsair Community

Asus Commando and two kits of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

fizi

I've tried to piece together the correct configuration for this motherboard and 4 sticks of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D by searching the forums and reading "Dominator Qualifications and Testing!" thread RamGuy has in his forum sig.

I was running a kit of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D previously at 1066mhz just fine. The kit was v2.x. I decided to stick more RAM in my system and bought another kit. It of course was v1.x. I've since gotten a third kit and now have 4 sticks of v1.x that I'm trying to get working on my computer.

Motherboard is an Asus Commando with the latest BIOS. CPU is a Intel 2 Quad Q6600.

Here are my results from memtest86+ v3.3: memtest results

Here are my BIOS settings:

Settings 1

Settings 2

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I had this running stable with just a single kit in there so I was hoping putting a second kit in wouldn't be much of a struggle.

Wow is my face red. I've got Memtest86+ 4.00 this time and it's made it past test #5 with no errors so far.

I'll leave the testing in a loop over night and report back if it continues with no errors.

I wonder if I need to bother upping my NB VCore after all....

4 passes running at 800mhz with no errors.

Guess it's back to the store for this RAM. No point in paying extra for DDR2-1066 when I could have just bought more (6-8GB) of DDR2-800 for the same price or less.

Thanks for your assistance.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Interesting that the Legacy USB needs to be disabled. Would having it enabled generate errors in memtest? or just cause memtest not to function?

I had the RAM running at DDR800 just fine but I was hoping to run it at DDR1066 since that's what I paid for. I could easily just get some DDR800 Corsair memory for cheaper or buy 2x2GB sticks at DDR1066 instead of trying to run 4x1GB sticks.

Is it worth trying the settings you recommend at DDR1066? otherwise I've got my refund setup I just need to ship the memory.

• Corsair Employees
Interesting that the Legacy USB needs to be disabled. Would having it enabled generate errors in memtest? or just cause memtest not to function?

A: It is listed in the Memtest Read me file and it may generate false errors or make the system unstable.

I had the RAM running at DDR800 just fine but I was hoping to run it at DDR1066 since that's what I paid for. I could easily just get some DDR800 Corsair memory for cheaper or buy 2x2GB sticks at DDR1066 instead of trying to run 4x1GB sticks.

A: This is more of a loading issue and we do not test Twin sets in 4 up configurations. So if you purchase 4 1.0 Gig DDR800 modules you may still have to lower them to the next lower speed grade.

Is it worth trying the settings you recommend at DDR1066? otherwise I've got my refund setup I just need to ship the memory.

A: I would just keep what you have and set them to DDR800 as long as the system is stable you should be fine.

• 5 months later...

Just a quick follow up. After running the above settings stable since my last post I now appear to have a bad stick of RAM. I'm going to run individual tests on each stick to narrow it down.

I think this is just a failed stick of RAM and not a settings problem. Even when bumping things down to 800mhz from 1066mhz and changing the timings to 5-5-5-18 I still see errors in Memtest86+ 4.00.

I did individual tests and isolated a single stick throwing up errors.

Thanks Ram guy! Already submitted an RMA. You guys are fast.

I think I'm having additional problems. Trying to narrow down if it's the mobo of PSU. With the two good sticks of RAM I re-ran Memtest86+ on it. After 3 hours the interface froze on Memtest. Been having other random and strange problems. I ran Spinrite on my hard drives for 12 hours straight with no problem. Re-installed Windows 7 and start trying to copy my backups off my NAS and Windows BSOD's. There is an error in the event log about a sudden loss of power. I'm trying to scrounge a spare PSU right now to test with.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I can't seem to figure out how to send another message to Tech Support about my RMA I'll post it here.

Do RMA's expire? I just shipped my bad RAM to you guys today but my RMA # was issued April 4th. The package should arrive to you in 4 days. If RMA's expire how can I ask for my RMA to be extended? I can provide a tracking number for the package if that's needed.

Since this is a repair is there customs fees on the shipment?

• Corsair Employees
Yes RMA numbers do expire after 30 days. Your RMA should be ok. As far as the custom fees you should not receive any however I do know some countries do have forms you can fill out to take care of those.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my replacement RAM. Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D v4.3 which runs at 2.10v.

Now what do I do? I sent you RAM that runs at 2.20v and you sent me back RAM that runs at 2.10v. I still have two sticks of 2.20v RAM in my computer which won't be compatible with the replacement RAM you sent.

Darn. Wish I'd known that when I first bought this stuff. I originally had two 2.1v sticks and a year later bought two more that were 2.2v. So I ended up buying another matching pair of 2.2v not knowing I could have just run it all at 2.2v. Oh well. Thanks for all the help! I'll try the sticks tonight and run memtest on them with the settings I started this thread with.

System won't even post with mixed 2.1v and 2.2v RAM in it running with this threads BIOS settings.

I haven't tested the two new sticks one at a time yet but let's pretend you guys didn't ship me DOA replacement RAM. Any suggestions as to what I should do next?

Archived