Corsair Community

New 8gb or 12Gb Kits for Core i7 (and Overclocking)

another_bryan

Hey guys.

I currently have an overclocked Core I7 920 running Corsair dominator 1600 (6GB kit) at 3.8GHz. This machine is a workhorse for me and when I am manipulating large animations or renderings, I frequently hit 88-90% memory (at which time software starts to lock up and I end up restarting).

I am considering the new 8GB or 12GB matched dominator kits but worry how it will effect my overclock-ability. Since most of the threads here about other users going to 8gb or 12gb are from users with UN-MATCHED kits, can I expect better overclocking stability by buying it matched? I would simply like to maintain the same 3.8GHz on my D0 stepping chip (for rendering-speed purposes - speed is critical)

8gb prospect: CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

12gb prospect: CMD12GX3M6A1600C8

Speculation aside, I am hoping to hear from users with first hand experience.

I took out my TR3X6G1600C7D and replaced them with the new CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 with no issues at all. I didn't load the XMP, I just changed the timings from 7-7-7-20 to 8-8-8-24. I also left it at 1T instead of changing it to 2T. I am stable (a few hours on LinX) on 18x multiplier with a bclock of 200 (effective CPU at 3.8 and RAM at 1600).

I hope that helps!

Hey guys.

I currently have an overclocked Core I7 920 running Corsair dominator 1600 (6GB kit) at 3.8GHz. This machine is a workhorse for me and when I am manipulating large animations or renderings, I frequently hit 88-90% memory (at which time software starts to lock up and I end up restarting).

I am considering the new 8GB or 12GB matched dominator kits but worry how it will effect my overclock-ability. Since most of the threads here about other users going to 8gb or 12gb are from users with UN-MATCHED kits, can I expect better overclocking stability by buying it matched? I would simply like to maintain the same 3.8GHz on my D0 stepping chip (for rendering-speed purposes - speed is critical)

8gb prospect: CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

12gb prospect: CMD12GX3M6A1600C8

Speculation aside, I am hoping to hear from users with first hand experience.

If you are sticking with the ASUS board in your signature, the 8GB kit is not a good option. The 12GB kit is the way to go for tri-channel setups.

I took out my TR3X6G1600C7D and replaced them with the new CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 with no issues at all. I didn't load the XMP, I just changed the timings from 7-7-7-20 to 8-8-8-24. I also left it at 1T instead of changing it to 2T. I am stable (a few hours on LinX) on 18x multiplier with a bclock of 200 (effective CPU at 3.8 and RAM at 1600).

I hope that helps!

Nice! thats what i was hoping to hear!. There has been so much chatter about12gb overloading the voltages that I worried I would lose my overclock completely. Thanks for the report - and be sure to let me know how your 24hr beatdown turns out

If you are sticking with the ASUS board in your signature, the 8GB kit is not a good option. The 12GB kit is the way to go for tri-channel setups.

Yes - the ASUS Deluxe-V2 will be the board that I run. I actually thought 8gig would be easier on the system then 12 - I am glad you piped in...

Archived