Corsair Community

Unable to get dual channel working

mario64

I have an Abit IC7-G mobo with two sticks of cmx512-3200c2 ram. I bought one of them last year and one just a few weeks ago. Problem is I cannot get them to run in dual channel mode. I have them in slots 1 & 3. I checked memory settings via CPU-Z and noticed the spd settings are different! Could that be the problem? Here's a snippet: CPU-Z version 1.22 Memory Modules Serial Presence Detect (SPD) Module #1 General Memory type DDR-SDRAM Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000) Size 512 MBytes Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz) Part number CMX512-3200C2 Attributes Number of banks 2 Data width 64 bits Correction None Registered no Buffered no Timings table Frequency (MHz) 166 200 CAS# 2.0 2.5 RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3 RAS# Precharge 3 3 TRAS# 7 8 Module #2 General Memory type DDR-SDRAM Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000) Size 512 MBytes Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz) Part number CMX512-3200C2 Attributes Number of banks 2 Data width 64 bits Correction None Registered no Buffered no Timings table Frequency (MHz) 200 CAS# 3.0 RAS# to CAS# delay 3 RAS# Precharge 3 TRAS# 8 Module 1 is the old stick, module 2 is the new one. What do I need to do to get them to work in dual channel mode? Thanks, Mario64

What is the version # of each stick? Also, [quote name='CandyKid']run CPU-Z, go to the "memory" tab, then look beside the "Channel #" listing... If it says, "Dual," you're good to go.[/QUOTE]

• Corsair Employees
I would try and set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X Volts. If you still have problems I would try Cass 3-3-3-8 and see if that will solve the problem.

[quote name='RAM GUY']I would try and set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X Volts. If you still have problems I would try Cass 3-3-3-8 and see if that will solve the problem.[/QUOTE] Thanks very much for the response. I have tried both of those suggestions but to no avail. Still no dual channel mode. I specifically bought another stick of CMX512-3200C2 just so dual channel would work. Now I find out about all these different versions. Is 1.2 compatible with 3.1 in dual channel mode? If not, how is a customer supposed to know that in advance and can Corsair do anything to help me? Thanks, Mario64

• Corsair Employees
Mario64 You would really need to have a matched pair of modules to run dual channel with any MB. I would suggest one of the following. A. Try to find another use for your older module and just send the new one back and get a Twinx1024-3200C2 or Twinx1024-3200LL B. Send the older module back under RMA in hopes of getting a newer module to match the one you just purchased!

[quote name='RAM GUY']Mario64 You would really need to have a matched pair of modules to run dual channel with any MB.[/QUOTE] That's just what I did. I originally bought a CMX512-3200C2 module. When I finally had enough money to purchase an additional 512MB I bought another CMX512-3200C2 module so I'd have a matched pair. What more can a customer be expected to do? Retailers don't list "versions" of the same item number therefore it is assumed they are all the same. IMO, each version should have its own item number, i.e. CMX512-3200C2v12. This would eliminate any confusion and keep customers from making expensive mistakes thinking they are purchasing the exact same RAM they already have. Anyway I guess I'm stuck now. Is 3.1 the latest version of this module? If I RMA my old one I'd like to at least know the new one will work correctly. Mario64

Archived