Corsair Community

Dominator Timings Incorrect

TomGu

Just completed a new build per the "PC specs" by my name above and presently have a 4GHz overclock stable through the first few hours of Prime 95.

Bios settings are:

BClk Frequency 200

CPU Clock Ratio 20

CPU Vcore 1.4

QPI Clock Ratio 32

QPI / VTT Voltage 1.3

System Memory Multiplier 8

Dram voltage 1.64

Load-Line Calibration Enabled

CPU-Z reports the four CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 memory kit modules are running at 1600 MHz but with timings of 10-11-11-29 instead of the rated 8- 8- 8-24.

What is causing these "loose memory timings" and how do I correct them?

Also, while incrementing my way up to 4GHz, I tried some of the configurations with and without load line calibration enabled and noticed CPU core temps approximately ten degrees lower during Prime95 when load-line calibration was not enabled - is this normal?

Thanks for any helpful comments / suggestions.

EDIT -

I was able to set the memory timings in the bios to 8-8-8-24 but am still experiencing high core temps when the CPU is under load. With no overclock, the temp of all cores is low 20's at idle and mid 40's with P95 running. With 4GHz overclock, temps are high 30's / low 40's at idle and high 60's to low 70's with P95 running. CPU cooler is Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 with dual fans in push/pull configuration. Case is *ntec 900 with seven fans. Have removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the Noctua. Still getting the high temps. Is lapping the Noctua the only option left? Help please.

Ramguy -

Thanks for the information. I have modified the bios settings slightly by reducing the Vcore from 1.4 to 1.375 and the DRAM voltage from 1.64 to 1.58 after which I noticed the memory timings were 9-9-9-24 instead of the 8-8-8-24 I had previously. Is it adviseable to manually set the memory timings back to 8-8-8-24 or just leave them at 9-9-9-24? Thank you. Tom

EDIT - Prime95 failed on core 3 after 3 hrs 52 min so I have increased the Vcore to 1.38125, Dram voltage to 1.64, QPI/VTT to 1.31, CPU/PLL to 1.9, and memory timings to 8-8-8-24. Any suggestions for modifications to these values? Thank you.

Archived