Corsair Community

What is the thermal rating of the H50?

x509

I read so much that is positive about the H50, but I haven't found the thermal rating, or whatever it's called that is the maximum practical heat load that can be cooled by the H50.

I'm planning to build a system around an i7 920, overclocked of course, and I want to see if the H50 could hold back the max overclock or not.

Thanks.

It's right at the level of a real good air cooler with more consistent temps.

Hey, I'm a "numbers" guy.:p: Besides, what constitutes "real good?" ;): And is "real good" enough for an overclocked i7?

Just asking ...

Compared to Tuniqs, CM V8 & V10's, Scythe MUGEN-2, Noctua, etc. I have used a Tuniq on my 3.9ghz 955 Phenom II setup and temps idled at 26-32c and 55-70c wide opened. The same setup, with the H50 installed ran a hair lower at idle, 25-29c and loaded up around 42-47c in a Raven RV01. I have a 1156 setup I will put 4.2ghz to the test with as soon as I have the bracket for that. I suspect around the same though. So far air cooling has similar results. The high end temps fluctuate a little more towards the 60-70c on air with the same Tuniq 120 and a "home made" mounting bracket.

not entirely sure the H50 is designed for overclocking, like Hedghawg71 said, i too believe It's right at the level of a real good air cooler with more consistent temps. (from all the reviews ive read) but for serious overclocking (like my 2.4@3.7 with almost 1.5v thrown at it) im not certain it will remove enough watts to keep it under 60c at full load. (i F@Hx4 24/7) so i need a bigger rad and a pump with more head. (flow)

for 75 bucks i may just test it myself. ->ZZF http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=corsair+h50+sale&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12457404030418426170&ei=2qrOSvHXIsnqlAeZwISpCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4#ps-sellers

Wrong!

The H50 is very for OC. I have my i7 975 @ 4.2Ghz 1.37vCore 100% load cores only hit 74c. This is with the stock fan blowing cooler air into the case.

Now you do want to have very good air flow in your case, I have 800D with 3 NB fans running at top and keeps case at 27c.

But H50 is very good WC for the money.

not entirely sure the H50 is designed for overclocking, like Hedghawg71 said, i too believe It's right at the level of a real good air cooler with more consistent temps. (from all the reviews ive read) but for serious overclocking (like my 2.4@3.7 with almost 1.5v thrown at it) im not certain it will remove enough watts to keep it under 60c at full load. (i F@Hx4 24/7) so i need a bigger rad and a pump with more head. (flow)

for 75 bucks i may just test it myself. ->ZZF http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=corsair+h50+sale&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12457404030418426170&ei=2qrOSvHXIsnqlAeZwISpCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4#ps-sellers

Wrong!

The H50 is very for OC. I have my i7 975 @ 4.2Ghz 1.37vCore 100% load cores only hit 74c. This is with the stock fan blowing cooler air into the case.

AlphaTech. Your PC Specs window says you have an i7 920. But here you say you have a 975. Which is correct? ( Big difference!)

Thanks.

I will agree that OCing was my purpose in purchasing the H50. I am running an i7 920 @ 3.2GHz, 1.145v. I believe the original clock was 2.66GHz, so I am running an OC of 17-18% or so? Before I put this cooler in, I was hovering at 60C or so, IDLE! That was ridiculous with ambient temp of 25-26C or so. When I put it under load, it went straight to 75C or so. Not good. :(:

Post installing the H50, it went to 36-39C idle and 60-63C under full processor load. Also, since I was getting much better numbers, I decided to try some more OC and was able to get to 4.0GHz, although I did not do a lot of tests to determine stability. The machine booted and the idle temps were around 45C - I needed a little more voltage for stability, up to 1.18v, and needed to clock down the memory speeds. :D:

I have some pictures posted of my install on this forum.

• 4 weeks later...
One thing to keep in mind depending on the mobo's VREG and NB cooling solution and their placement on the mobo is, that, the VREG heat sink (if applicable) and NB were designed to receive air flow from the stock CPU fan, with installing the H50 you are removing the CPU fan that blows on the VREG HS and NB HSF. So, be sure to "replace" the air flow some how with new fans etc. or the NB and VREG temps will run much higher.

One thing to keep in mind depending on the mobo's VREG and NB cooling solution and their placement on the mobo is, that, the VREG heat sink (if applicable) and NB were designed to receive air flow from the stock CPU fan, with installing the H50 you are removing the CPU fan that blows on the VREG HS and NB HSF. So, be sure to "replace" the air flow some how with new fans etc. or the NB and VREG temps will run much higher.

Corsair H50 works good. This is how I improved my system temps over the Zalman 9700 I used to run.

http://minidriven.com/GreenMachine/H50chipsetVGAairflowarea.JPG

My Q9550 is stable with 1.5v at 4.33GHZ. Idles in the low 30's. (celsius)

Lots of work and effort in my RIG with tuning DFI P45 JR T2RS just right to get this stability. The H50 is does a fantastic job at keeping Q9550 cool and stable. All my temps went down with the help of H50 and other improved cooling mods.

Archived