Corsair Community

Corsair P256 ssd (CMFSSD-256GBG2D)

Adrian Borg

QUESTION (1)

Can the Corsair Performance P256 256GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (CMFSSD-256GBG2D) be fit in the Akasa Integral NMAX eSATA/USB 2.0 2.5" Hard Drive Enclosure (AK-IC007-BK) or an other compatible enclosure to be used as a portable ssd? and I should need some settings or just it becomes hot swappable?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTI0N (2)

Q: Will the performance of my P-Series SSD reduce over time?

A: P-Series SSDs with firmware VBM18C1Q offers a “Performance Recovery” feature, which allows the controller to maintain optimal performance over time. For this feature to function the SSD must have at least 15% free space available and be formatted using the NTFS file system. The PC or laptop must then be cold-booted (i.e. turned on from a full power-off state, not a ‘reset’) and left in an idle state for one hour, after which time full performance will be restored.

About this I would like to say if I am using the Corsair Performance P256 256GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (CMFSSD-256GBG2D) in an enclosure as a portable ssd I should use the same procedure or what when I need to?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION (3)

3) If I should store photos on the ssd and not use it to read and write data frequently just most probably adding photos and to archiviate them ( store them on the drive ) and to see them or copy from the drive,it is safe to do so for the drive and to have peace of mind that important photos like wedding photos are stored safley although they are backed up elsewhere?

QUESTION(4)

Do questions (2) and (3) somehow apply for example to a Corsair Flash Voyager GT 128GB USB2.0 Flash Drive (CMFUSBAC-128GBGT)?

Q(5)

Do the Corsair Performance P256 256GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (CMFSSD-256GBG2D) stocked at OVERCLOCKERS UK HAS THE LATEST FIRMWARE VBM18C1Q?

Thanks in advance your immediate reply would be greatly appriciated so I can decide and buy the products.

Dr.Adrian Borg.

To be honest Adrian using an SSD for storage is a bit redundant - it can be likened to buying a Rolls Royce to nip down to the supermarket for your weekly shop. SSDs are best suited to being your system drive which is where they shine in terms of performance over traditional spinning platters.

Personally I used my SSD for my OS and Programs and use a traditional Samsung F1 1 Terrabyte HDD for storage purposes. I also have a Samsung 500mb in an external enclosure connected via eSata for backup (automated).

Using a Flash medium for long-term storage is not a safe bet - in fact no one medium can be said to be 100% reliable; every medium has its strong points and weak points, but traditional HDDs are better suited for long term storage. To be as close to 100% sure of safety its best to use a variety of storage mediums for data.

I would never advocate anyone using their system (OS) drive for storing important or irreplaceable data on and SSDs are best suited for system (OS) drive purposes.

The choice ulitmately is up to you how you would want to use an SSD, but I would tread with caution.

As for enclosures, if they can take a standard spinning 2.5" drive there's no reason why they wouldn't be able to take a 2.5" SSD.

Archived