Corsair Community

Faulty TX850W

MeEviL666

I have had a TX850 power supply for over 4 months and recently the AC Input on the back of the power supply came loose. I tried to push it back in but it remains a slack fit.

The other day i started up my computer and to my surprise smoke began to come out my case. After some investigation i discovered that the cable going to my sata drives power connectors insolation had burned off slightly(Orange cable).

I spoke to friend at work who was an engineer for HP for 20 years and he told me that my problem is likely to be that because of the AC input connector not making contact properly. So it could not earth.

The system starts but will no longer post!!!

Any input would be appreciated

Hopefully someone can help .

You may need in the least a new SATA power cable and perhaps both a power cable and a new HDD. Connect from different data port on mobo also. Typicaly smoke and being burned slightly don't mix. If there is smoke it is burnt good enough to be called major.

I conclude the information about the loose AC input was for??

I have been told that the this could have been a result of the power supply not being able to earth itself.

The psu circuit board is earthed through the case of the PSU. The circuit is complete by a metal connections on the AC inlet ???(Which has become loose)

To be honest i am confused to much information for me:bigeyes:

I just find it odd that the insulation(Orange) would burn off the sata power connector which comes from the psu. I have had stability issue over the last couple of weeks games stalling random crashes even when doing simple things like web browsing!!.

I have tried changing video cards to rule out this issue. Also disconnecting hardware one piece at a time trying to locate the fault.

Archived