Corsair Community

Problem with installing 12GB on EVGA X58 Classified

slashxu

Hi,

I'm pretty new to building systems, so please bare with me if this seems amature. However, I'm hoping someone can help out in this forum.

I'm putting 12GB (two kits of 3x2GB) of Crosair Dominator 1600MHz DDR3 memories into a EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified i7 Motherboard. I also have Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz CPU.

The problem is I can only get the motherboard to accept 6GB of memory. Anymore than that, the system freezes at windows boot screen. I had to only use 6GB to install windows in the first place. I called the motherboard tech support and we manually entered the memory BIOS settings (1600MHz, 8-8-8-24, 1T, 1.65V), but that still caused the system to hang. I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with the motherboard. BTW, I swapped the RAMs and checked to see if any of them were defected, but none seem to be.

Has anyone successfully installed similar setup or know what I'm doing wrong? Please help! Thanks!

I think I got it working. At least it's now booting on all 12GB. I changed the memory BIOS setting to 1333MHz, 8-8-8-24, 2T, 1.65V. I read somewhere the guy used 1866MHz RAMS and lowered it to 1600MHz, and was able to get 12GB working. So, is that the idea? You have to lower one level of the RAMs you have to run 12GB?

I'm going to install some software and see if it's stable or not.

Archived