Corsair Community

RMA Extreme for Performance - Opinions?

Jet_Black

So I'm hoping to get user's opinions ... I purchased an Extreme 256 drive on August 31st which failed on me within the first attempt to image it from my main drive. I got an email today from Corsair indicating that a replacement Extreme drive could be quite a wait, and if I wanted I could get a Performance 256 in its place.

What are people's opinions on this? I went with the Extreme originally because of the working garbage collection routines and the fact that the Performance drives were not guaranteed to come flashed to Samsung's most recent firmware with GC.

The performance seems fairly similar between the two drives, and I am a little leery of another Extreme until the kinks are worked out, but I did pay for an Extreme...

RAMGuy: If I did switch to a Performance, would there be any chance I could get one with the latest firmware so I'd have a GC routine built in?

Thanks in advance!

• Corsair Employees

Yes all of the Performance series drives come with Firmware version VBM18C1Q, I would suggest asking the reseller to check their inventory before they send the drive or if you RMA your drives back to us you will get the version of Firmware and it does include G/C on our P256 drives.

Please note that I cannot speak for what a given reseller might have in their inventory.

Jet_Black,

A lot depends on what you're using it for. I'm using a Performance drive and it's brilliant. You're highly unlikely to notice any difference in performance between X and P.

The only differences seem to be garbage collection and the bizarre state of support for Windows 7 TRIM, which still seems to be shrouded in secrecy and confusion.

The only thing that seems apparent is that the X drives seem to be having a high failure rate, if posts on this board are any indicator. Whether that's because lots of people have rushed out and bought an X drive I don't know, but certainly all the "drive failed" and "drive disappeared" threads relate to X drives. As you've found yourself.

If it were me? I'd go for the P drive.

Jim

The only differences seem to be garbage collection and the bizarre state of support for Windows 7 TRIM, which still seems to be shrouded in secrecy and confusion.
NDA's blocking most from saying anything is my guess.

The only thing that seems apparent is that the X drives seem to be having a high failure rate, if posts on this board are any indicator.
Posts on this board cannot be taken as an indicator because this is the exact place you'd see the highest number of technical inquiries about Corsair products. It's like going to a doctor's office and asking everyone if they're feeling ok. Since most would say no, you'd think an epidemic had broken out!

Agreed, and that's why I speculated about the imbalance between X and P. I'm guessing that >50% of the recent purchases made by people here are for X rather than P, so statistically there will be more faults. Also, people only tend to write in forums to complain rather than praise.

The OP asked for an opinion. I think the P drives are excellent, and the OP probably wouldn't go wrong if they bought one of those. The idea of firmware-upgradeable X drives was excellent, but my enthusasm dulled once I realised it wold require a format - so I went for P.

Just my opinion.

Jim

I have a failed X256 also. It's been at the Corsair lab for going on three weeks now and I don't know how much longer it will be (it's a firmware problem I'm told, and reflashing isn't an option at this time because of what's happening).

Corsair offered me a P256 and I may go that way if it takes much longer.

I have a P256 in my notebook and am totally pleased with it.

Gaming etc on the notebook (Dell 1640) has improved dramatically and I have had zero problems.

The X256 had much faster access times (.12ms for the X256 and .3ms for the P256, both with everything installed, Win7 64 bit), however the firmware's access speed is what appears to be causing the problems right now.

If the cost for you comes out the same, the P256 may be the way to go.

Archived