Corsair Community

Need help TW3X4G1600C9DHX + Asus Striker II Extreme

cje

Hey guys,

My pc has been freezing off and on for a while now. I had 4 1gb sticks of XMS 1333C9DHX and one kit needed more voltage than the other, and anyway, I didn't want to reduce speed to get 4 sticks stable, because I wanted to OC, so I went for the current kit that I've got now.

So I stuck this new kit in. PC passes memtest just fine 12 hours, with everything at stock (fsb 1066 + mem at 1066) it also passes memtest with the fsb at 1600 and mem at 1600. But I get random freezes, usually happens when the 2 graphics cards are utilized.

Kit is rated 9-9-9-24 @1600@ 1.8v

Tried upping nb, tried loosening timings, checked RAM volts, tried 2T command rate.

Settings that I've tried:

Fsb: 1066

RAM: 1066

Timings: Auto are 7-7-7-20 1T (But also tried 9-9-9-24-2T)

RAM volts: 1.6v through to 1.9v

I have also had the fsb at 1333 for a long time with similar issues, the pc can also run at 1600 fsb and ram, but still freezes. (The frequency of the freezes are totally random, regardless of fsb speed, and the pc can run fine for a few days, but then freeze).

Not sure how to sort it out, I cannot "induce" the problem in memtest, and it doesn't seem to bother prime95 blend test. It can go for days without freezing, but today it froze when I tried playing an itunes movie, played the movie for 2 seconds then froze.

By freezing I mean total system freeze, with sound stuttering loop, totally unresponsive, the only way out is to hard reset.

I would really appreciate any guidance guys. And I promise I will do exactly as you guys tell me.

EDIT - Should say that I have updated BIOS to 1203 now, and running at stock (auto defaults in bios)

• Corsair Employees
The CPU you have will limit the memory frequency that you can run the memory at and as you over clock you may need to add more voltage to some other settings and I am sorry I cannot tell you how to over clock. But I would try and set the Voltage that is on the modules with the timings set to Auto and set the memory frequency set to DDR1333 and Command Rate set to 2T and disable legacy USB and test them with http://www.memtest.org.

I perfectly understand that you cannot help me OC. However, the pc has frozen at stock, as well as overclocked. I tried 1066 fsb (stock) before, with RAM at 133 9-9-9-24 2T with vdimm @ 1.8v and it passes memtest just fine. Also passess memtest with fsb at 1600 and ram at 1600, 9-9-9-24 2t @ 1.8v.

I have no errors in memtest, no matter what speeds I run them at. Which is why I am stumped.

I am currently still testing. I am at stock 1066 fsb and 1333 MHz ram with auto timings (9-9-9-25) 2T and with 1.8v. No memtest errors after 6 passes.

The problem is a complete system freeze, everything just hard locks. It is very infrequent. It happens when the gfx card is used mostly. I am running latest drivers, but both cards are new from an RMA and temp is ok on both. It's frozen watching an iTunes movie, but the next day it played Arma II all day. then last week it froze on Crysis: black screen, sound freeze, complete lock.

It happened again, I was playing Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising, screens went black, sound stutter, the fans on the graphics cards went crazy. Total system freeze.

I am at the settings RAM GUY suggested. (1066 fsb, 1333RAM, 9-9-9-24 2T, 1.8v).

I am going to uninstall all creative + nvidia drivers. Download all latest, and try again. I've read that the latest nvidia drivers are not the best at the moment, which ones are best for the GTS 250, anyone know?

Thanks ever so much for all your help so far guys.

EDIT - I was just downloading the drivers now, and the whole pc froze for about 5 seconds. Then it started working again. Why would it do that? Anyone know?

Use only two sticks of memory, try a couple of their slots then the others. Lows audio quality to "cd". Disable in Bios

Spread Spectrum.

4 memory slot populated gave many troubles on your mobo, Corsair was a brand which works fine with asus strik. even if not QVL.

I am at settings ram guy said and pc has now frozen again. I am going to memtest 4.00 one more time. Then Im checking if my Rma is still valid for mobo. A corrupt windows install wouldn't cause it would it? I'm just thinking. Surely I'd have other problems in windows if windows was corrupted, and not just this freezing ?

Thank RAM GUY, I've held off a reinstall of windows for the moment.

The pc froze with a black screen when I was booting into windows yesterday evening. Then I thought about what you said about it being the motherboard. I increased NB voltage to 1.4v. And it didn't freeze last night at all. I played the new Operation Flashpoint until I couldn't play anymore.

However, when I first got the pc, I didn't need to increase NB at all. It was at 1.3v NB even overclocked to 1333 fsb. Now however it needs 1.4v to stay happy at 1066 fsb. I've read a bit about the nvidia chipset's memory controller degrading. Is this the issue here?

I will test more with it this weekend, and see if this is the issue.

Thanks Ramguy, tried all the way up to 1.5v it seemed to take longer to freeze up. I have done everything beyond reason to fix this. Tried different ram, tried newer BIOS, tried downclOcking, tried to improve cooling, tried different gpis, tried different hard drive, even reinstalled OS a couple of times.

I have therefore RMA d the motherboard. I hope that they find a fault on it Nd give me new one. :) I'm sick and tired of it. I just hope i'll have a working rig soon. :) I wrote a 2 page letter to my reseller explaining all the settings I've tried and what I've done etc.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again for the support.

The motherboard has been sent for an RMA through my reseller. I got a friend to loan me a corsair 1333mhz kit that was know to be stable and my pc froze like before. It has to be motherboard I think.

Thanks though.

Archived