Corsair Community

The best?

tjohoo

Make sure your drives are on Sata Ports 1 and 2 and then all other drives on the remaining Sata ports working backwards from the last one (CD drive on last port preferred).

Then just put your Windows 7 disc in and go for it .... following the usual prompts for installation. Windows 7 will do everything that's necessary. Just check after installation that Defrag, SuperPrefetch and Windows Search are disabled in services; helps preserve life and performance :-)

Davyc,

I'm curious. I'm not questioning you, I'm just curious.

Just about every post you make refers to connecting drives to specific ports, working from the back etc. Why? I've never seen anyone refer to this before, and I've never done it myself. What does it achieve? Is there a best-practice you can link to?

I've used all manner of drives - SATA, IDE, SCSI, SSD etc. I'm currently running an SSD for boot (Server 2008 R2 x64) and four SATA drives in RAID 5 on my server, and on my desktop (Win7 x64) I have two SATA drives in RAID 1. The only time I've ever paid any attention to the connections is when deciding which drive is to be "first" drive, for boot info etc. But the rest of the drives just get connected in any old order.

Is there a reason?

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim

The reason is to eliminate the possibility of crosstalk between the channels; I got my information from various forums that I visit and from Googling techspec's from various technical websites. It appears to be the concensus of opinion that this is best practice and it is seen on various other SSD support forums too.

For some people any old order will do, but when problems arise then this is just one of the many adopted preferences :-)

Archived