Corsair Community

Asus P5E3 Deluxe with 4x 2Gb (8Gb) DDR3... please!

FazZ

Hello fellow humans of the Corsair forums ::pirate::

I have an Asus P5E3 deluxe motherboard (currently with BiOS 1412 going on to 1415 very shortly) and seeing as the motherboard is nearing two years old, I thought I'd push it one last time, before upgrading (sometime mid-next year). I'm looking to maximise the board memory usage and get 8Gb's into it and aim for stability than over-clocking, always.

The system is used for pretty everything you can use Windows for and intensely... Internet, Gaming, Video Editing, Photo retouching, Free hand drawing, Audio editing, Music composing, Networking, Usual office work, etc etc. So far I like these Corsair products listed below and would be buying two of these kits to make 8Gb RAM in total:

• CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 / 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) / 8-8-824 / 240pin / DIMM Dominator
  • CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 / 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) / 8-8-824 / 240pin DIMM / DHX+
  • CMG4GX3M2A1600C6 / 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) / 6-6-618 / 240pin DIMM / Dominator
  • TW3X4G1600C9D / 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) / 9-9-924 / 240pin DIMM / Dominator

Can I please ask anyone kindly to point fingers at which would best suite my little system, please! From guessing, the CMD range seem better and 'A' version with DHX+ would be best, although it does have support for Intel's XMS... right?! :confused:

The actual product code for the 8Gb version I've seen is CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 which is what I would be going for, if I'm correct! :confused:

I'm happy to spend more, but prefer to keep this sensible due to the system only probably being used for another 6-8 months, when I plan to upgrade again, keeping this system to just render 3D and video work, like a previous desktop we have here based on P4 HT. :laughing: The last I bought DDR3 was two years ago, using ********'z ReaperX's in this current PC and cost nearly £400... for 4Gb... how thing's have (as always) changed! :biggrin:

A/B in the part number has nothing to do with quality. XMS = Corsair memory. You're thinking of XMP.

Get an 8GB kit and not two 4 GB kits, as the latter aren't tested or guaranteed to work together.

Yes, CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 is an 8 GB pack (4 sticks of 2 GB each) @ 8-8-8-24.

OT: Your 4x Samsung F1 1Gb - Storage via SATA rack, is that an external exclosure? If so, which one do you have?

A/B in the part number has nothing to do with quality. XMS = Corsair memory. You're thinking of XMP.

Get an 8GB kit and not two 4 GB kits, as the latter aren't tested or guaranteed to work together.

Yes, CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 is an 8 GB pack (4 sticks of 2 GB each) @ 8-8-8-24.

OT: Your 4x Samsung F1 1Gb - Storage via SATA rack, is that an external exclosure? If so, which one do you have?

Thanks Wired! :winking:

I guess I was blindly doing the right thing and writing a forum message half sleep (ref: XMP and XMS) wasn't a great idea! :rolleyes: LoL

Will be ordering Corsair's CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 this Friday morning, which hopefully will get here sometime this year, as the stupid postal strikes have caused so many boring issues to deal with every week. :veryangry

The SATA bay rack thingy can be seen here: http://www.a-tecsubsystem.com/websys/atec/web/products.jsp?prodId=1178442148921 :sunglasse

We've only been using it for just over a year now and as it was so cheap and is so damm useful, I'm looking to purchase another, as we two other 1Gb WD HDD's in additional slot draw thingy's which we simply switch round whenever needed, but thinking of adding a stack of 4x 1Tb Samsung F3's to the system very soon. :naughty:

When it was original installed on Vista x64 it didn't always mount within the OS, but had to be started and mounted before entering the OS. This slowly changed and works flawless and flexibly within 7 x64 We recently changed the eSata cable it uses from a 0.5m cable to a 3.0m shielded cable and has been working as normal for two weeks now, but again can't say it's 100% for a couple few weeks at least. ::pirate::

• 4 months later...

Long story... but wasn't able to get hold of the memory (above) at the time!

However, I've just been given a cheap option to get the CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 kit now and I'm guessing this will work the same as CMX8GX3M4A1600C8 but just slightly slower on my old Asus P5E3 mother board... right?

Thanks again! [^_^]

• 5 months later...

so how did you get on with this ?

as i'm looking at the same scenario, and have found that kit you listed as well as the dominator CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 plus this one... CMP8GX3M4A1600C8 which seems to be the newer CMP variety with XMP profile support

i'd love to try these.... CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 :D (and 4 of them hehehe)

Archived