Corsair Community

Asus P6TD Deluxe and Core i7 - Searching for RAM

ZAPnDUSTER

Hello

I am looking for decent RAM Modules, I am thinking about 12GB RAM at PC10666/1333Mhz @ CL7 e.g.

Important is stability and reliability, Memtest, Prime95 and Linx should run without a single error.

Could you please advise which KITs are going to work best with my Setup?

Thanks

There are no CAS7 12 GB kits. Check the website for the list of Core i7 kits.

What about TR3X6G1600C7(D)?

Triple Channel DDR3 Memory for Intel Core i7 9xx series processors

PC3-12800 6GB Kit 7-7-7-20 240pin DIMM

I can use two kits of this memory, right?

They are a different part and the Dominator has a better heat spreader design but we do not offer 12 Gig kits in a Dominator Line at this time.

RAM GUY,

Are there any plans to do so in the future, or are there technical reasons why it can't be done?

• 1 month later...
Considering Core i7 9xx are the only CPUs out there that use 3/6 stick kits, yes they are compatible.

Guaranteed-Compatible Memory for your Asus P6TD Deluxe

I just checked out that page above for the P6TD, and something interesting. If you click the BUY NOW buttons, the Dominator memory is only about $30 more than the non-Dominator memory, at TigerDirect.

What's fascinating is how much variation there is in pricing for the same part. Is this a result of the crazy memory price increases of late?

x509

IC prices fluctuate a lot. Depending on the IC and the price when they were bought ultimately affects the price down the road.

Wired, are you saying that any one store will price the same product differently, only because of the price they paid when they bought the product from you? Instead of pricing competitively? :eek:

If this is the case, then it really, really is necessary to do price comparisons on RAM :sigh!: , more than on say disk drives or graphics cards. Too bad, then, because I like to buy all my PC stuff from Newegg, for all the usual reasons. ;):

Do CPU prices fluctuate as much?

Dude, not me, Corsair.

For whatever reason (silicon yields would be my guess), IC prices change a lot. Therefore memory companies buy them at varying prices. Therefore stores buy memory at different pricing depending on the overall manufacturing cost. Therefore they sell it at different prices.

Each level changes their price to offset the previous level's price change ultimately because of the base material's change in price. Standard business practice.

Multiply that by many different IC vendors, and it gets REALLY interesting :)

CPU prices fluctuate as well. sharkyextreme.com usually posts the changes each week. There's other sites as well that track the various prices, but it's not per store or anything. Usually CPU prices are based off of lots of 1000.

It's always a balance of item price vs overall price of your total cart vs shipping costs vs customer service. Personally I don't have an issue w/ paying a bit more for better service, but some do.

• Corsair Employees
Actually memory pricing can change from day to day and if for example one reseller purchased their inventory on Monday and there was a price increase on Tuesday another reseller who purchased later in the same week my have the same part at a different price that is quite common.

It's always a balance of item price vs overall price of your total cart vs shipping costs vs customer service. Personally I don't have an issue w/ paying a bit more for better service, but some do.

I agree. I ALWAYS buy everything I need from Newegg, even if I could save a few bucks elsewhere. All you have to do is look at http://www.resellerratings.com, and compare store ratings. Newegg is close to top score on all measures.

One time, I did an exercise, where I compared prices on some item from a lot of different online stores, with the stores' ratings on reselleratings. It seems that if you want to deal with a store with a decent rating and satisfied customers, you are going to pay 10-12% more than what the rock-bottom and bottom-feeders charge. ;): Hey, I look at that 10% as "insurance" that I'll get what I ordered, in good shape, when I ordered it. Who needs the headaches? :mad: Not me.

Having said that, if a 12 GB kit costs $450 from Newegg and only $300-350 from another place, I'm going to at least consider buying from that other store.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived