Corsair Community

X128 has disappeared. Trouble shooting help?

nikonnut

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with my X128 SSD. First off, it is approximately 1 month old (bought on 8/22/09) and has been running Windows 7. Ever since I received it it has has had issues with being sporatically detected by my computer when the AHCI option was selected (I breifly chronicled this with post #419383) and i thought that this might just be growing pains in the development of the hardware. Now the drive is no longer being detected at all. After a brief moment of panic I have done some very basic trouble shooting that has included the following;

1) Verify latest BIOS as ACHI was addressed heavily in the last release. Up to date with rev. F9a

2) Check for a bad SATA cable or port. I've tried 3 different cables and all the available ports. My other HDDs are detected and work just fine.

3) Check for a bad power connection. Just got a new Corsair HX850W PSU (which is awesome BTW) but tried several different power connectors on all the supplied cables just to be sure.

None of these checks or changes have had any effect so can anyone suggest something I might have overlooked? I'm at a loss and hoping that greater minds can come to my rescue. Thank you for the time and help in advance.

Kind regards,

Chris

Are you using your SSD as the main drive for OS and Programs? If so, move it to sata port 1 and then put the rest of your drives in decending order from the last port putting your CD drive on the last port.

If this doesn't help then try hard resetting the bios - remove the m/b battery, put the bios reset jumper into the correct position and hold your power on button for about 2 mins. Reset the jumper to normal position, replace the battery, make sure your SSD is on port 1 and and CD on the last port - do not connect your other drives at this time - and then fire up the computer and go straight into the bios and restore default settings; tweak up as you would see fit and as normal and then see what happens.

Hey guys,

Sorry I'm late getting back but I had an equipment failure at work and I didn't have any computer time til now.

So... First off. Davyc and RAM GUY, thank you for the great advice. My X128 is indeed my boot drive and in connected to port 1. Davyc, I followed your advice to the letter, reconnected everything like it should be, set the BIOS and... Nada. The SSD is not showing up on either the Boot up splash screen or in the BIOS when trying to set the Boot Priority. Please note that the DVD drive does show up. Any more suggestions? I'm at a loss. Thanks again for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

All the Best,

Chris

If your Bios is set for AHCI try changing it to IDE - remove the SSD, power down your PC and disconnect from the mains for about 30 mins ...... this will give everything a chance to clear. Reconnect your SSD and your CD drive only .... SSD on port 1 and CD on last port. Power up and see if your SSD is detected in Bios.

Davyc, I already had the BIOS setup with ACHI disabled. I really tried to stay as close to the stock BIOS setting to eliminate as may variables as possible but I'll give the power down a try. Thanks for sticking with me on this issue.

Cheers,

Chris

• Corsair Employees
The issue you have reported has been one that has came up and we are working on the problem, we are not sure how long this will take to solve I would expect a solution soon but if you cannot wait I would see if the reseller will let you replace the drive for our Performance series drive or if they will not help you please contact our customer service and they will do their best to help you.

Davyc,

Well, I gave the power down a whirl, let it sit for about an hour, reconnected everything as you suggested and the drive still doesn't show in the BIOS, on the boot splash screen, and it is not shown under "computer" in VISTA. When I first installed the drive everything was peachy so I think I'm boned :( Thank you for the help! I really appreciate it.

RAM GUY,

I checked with my reseller (Dell) and they don't sell the P series drive so that option won't go. I'm also out side the 21 day return period for non-dell brand electronics. Before I contact customer service I have a question about the solution you mentioned. My question is that is this a firmware based fix or something that requires the drive to be "seen" by the computer for flashing purposes? I'm thinking that with my issue this would be a non-starter for me. Thanks again for all the help and the patience. Corsair is as always a notch above and I have absolutely NO qualms about recommending any of your products or buying again.

Thank you both again for the help,

Chris

Hi Chris

Sorry things haven't worked out - shame you're not in the UK as Dell would not be able to flim-flam you with a 21 day cop out - here we have up to 6 years to return goods that don't live upto expectations (sounds easy but it can get quite complex but at least the option is there to explore). I would ask Corsair (as RAM GUY suggested) to swap the drive out for a P series.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry about that, the issue has not be isolated at this time we are working on the issue and should have a solution soon, and yes please contact our customer service but first please fill out the On Line RMA Request Form and make a note of the case number when you call them at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "3" or by email at rmaservice@corsairmemory.com

Ram Guy, I'm having a similar problem with an X64. The drive has some very important data on it that my client didn't back up. Is there a way to be notified when a fix is released and will that fix preserve the data on the drive? BTW, great work on the forum. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Brian

I've been reading through the other threads and found the suggestion to place a jumper across the 2 pins used for firmware update. My BIOS does see the drive now, but the auto-configuration stats show its capacity @ 137 GB instead of 64 GB with the drive name of Yatadong Barefoot-R ... (rest cut off).

Capacity 137 GB

Cylinders 65535

Head 16

Precomp 0

Landing Zone 65534

Sectors 255

Would manually setting the drives correct values allow access back to my data, and if so, what are the correct values?

Thanks anyone,

Brian

Archived