Corsair Community

Voyager 16GB GT

benlbit

Hi,

We have a number of Voyager 16GB GT drives being used for lightweight WinXP Embedded systems. The key is formatted as NTFS with XPE and the USB key is formatted as a bootable device. The embedded OS is 250MB.

We started out great with the Voyager 16GB GT series USB drives but lately they have all started to fail. The biggest concern is the fact that each drive has a different symptom and we don't know what we can do do to fix this.

We have some drives that have become so slow they're not useable. What normally takes 30 seconds to copy onto the USB drive will take 2 minutes and trying to boot our XPe OS is unacceptable.

We have some drives that run fast, but after about 10 hours they seem to 'drop out', i.e. the motherboard thinks it's no longer plugged in and the system reboots. Then during the reboot the BIOS can't find any disk to boot from.

We have some drives that appear in Windows as a drive letter only for a short moment but then immediately disappear. When inserted as a bootable drive the OS won't boot at all. The motherboard goes into a reboot cycle.

We have some drives that format ok but when they're used the file system instantly becomes corrupt and this results in our application not booting.

On one of the corrupt drives I tried running chkdsk, it discovered a number of errors - here is the output for one of them.

C:\>c:\WINDOWS\system32\chkdsk.exe E: /F /V /R

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is New Volume.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...

File verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 835.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 835.

Sorting index $I30 in file 835.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 936.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 936.

Sorting index $I30 in file 936.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 947.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 947.

Sorting index $I30 in file 947.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 958.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 958.

Sorting index $I30 in file 958.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 993.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 993.

Sorting index $I30 in file 993.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 1013.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 1013.

Sorting index $I30 in file 1013.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 1065.

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 1065.

Sorting index $I30 in file 1065.

An unspecified error occurred.

At the moment we have 1 RMA case open, but now we have at least 4 failed USB keys. Do we need to open an RMA for each of our failed USB drives or can I submit these under the 1 RMA?

Can anyone suggest a viable alternative to the Voyager 16GB GT for our application? We really only need a small drive (4GB of drive space at most) but what we need is the high I/O of the Voyager GT series.

The Corsair documentation (FAQ_flash_drive_wear_leveling.pdf) states the following:

Will my Corsair USB Flash drive last more than 10 years?

Yes. All Corsair flash drives are built with memory components that can handle AT LEAST 10,000 write cycles; typically they will handle an order of magnitude more than this. So, this means that in order to exhaust the drive in ten years, one would have to write to EVERY BLOCK in the device about 2.7 times per day, every single day. We simply can’t conceive of such a usage scenario; this would mean that on a fairly typical 8 GByte drive, one would need to write over 21 GBytes of data to it every day for ten years! USB flash drives simply are not used in this way.

If one thinks he or she might actually try this, we suggest buying a Corsair Flash Voyager GT or a Corsair Flash Survivor GT USB drive. They are built with components guaranteed for 100,000 write cycles. With these, one can write over 210 GBytes of data to the drive each day, for ten years!

Even though we're running an OS on these keys, fact is it's only 250MB and there is no way it's writing 21GB of data every day. We bought the 16GB versions as we figured with the wear leveling technology we could get an easy 5 years out of them and we would be happy, but at this stage we're not even getting 5 weeks.

When our application is installed they go into remote locations and changing them is a real problem, very costly to not only change them but our customers are loosing faith in our product. We need something that will be reliable.

• Corsair Employees

Please try and format the drive with the SD-CARD Organization. format utility and then run HD-Bench software to test the performance. If this does not work or solve the issue just have it replaced.

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Hi RAM Guy,

Thanks for replying.

When I go to download SD-Card Organization, Trend Micro (our Antivirus product) disallows access saying it is Spyware.

Also, given we have 4 USB drives we're having problems with, do I need to submit 4 RMA requests?

Thanks,

Ben

Archived