Corsair Community

Vista64 boots with inconsistent RAM count!

Hi everyone, I recently upgraded 6gbs of ram to a grand total of 12gb RAM.

Ever since I installed it correctly, often at boot up, Vista64bit has been telling me my ram is 10gb, as has ccleaner.

I would usually fix that by re-booting.

But these past 3days, no matter how many times i boot/re-boot, both Vista 64 Business Edition and ccleaner will only recognise 10gb of my 12 gb RAM.

However, when I open up CPU-Z, It recognises all the ram in all the slots perfectly under the SPD tab, so I don't know whether my problem is hardware or software based :confused:

Please Help!

*CPU-Z Report: Available On Request*

• Corsair Employee
With two sets of these modules I would suggest DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.65 Volts and you might try and set the CPU/QPI Vtt Voltage to 1.4 Volts as well. But you should test all of the modules one at a time to be sure one is not failing.

How do I change my 2 of my existing modules to 1066mhz and to 1.65v?

Btw, CPU-Z says that my DRAM Frequency is 534.6mhz, under the memory tab.

(Note: this is after i removed all the Corsair memory, leaving just the samsung kit)

Okay I kept all my old triple channel samsung ram in, and then checked all of my new ram sticks (6gb) one at a time, and found out that one of the sticks, although recognised by cpu-z, was not being recognised by windows.

Does this mean my ram stick is faulty?

I dont have a choice, I couldnt find a viable way of getting another pair of my original memory brand, and i havent got money to burn either so buying all corsair memory was out of the question.

I'm telling it like it is, when i navigate to my computer>properties, the stick does not show, but in CPU Z it does.

No, here's what I did. I took out 2 sticks of corsair ram, with my original samsung memory (6gb) and ONE Corsair stick (2gb) remaining in my pc.

I was expecting to see 8gb total, but Windows showed only 6gb, CPU Z still recognised the corsair stick, showing 8gb total.

Once I took out my final corsair stick, following the pattern above, I was expecting to see 4gb recognised. But instead, Windows recognised all of my samsung memory.

So the problem was with that last corsair stick of ram (which I had placed in slot 2).

Just to confrim the problem was with the ram stick as opposed to the actual motherboard slot itself, I put my other two Corsair Sticks of Ram into slot 2 and 4. And Windows recogised the memory without any problem whatsoever.

Do you mean, instead of testing corsair in 2,4,6, try them in 1,3,6? But one at a time, and without samsung memory?

*Additionally, before I remove all memory and try loading the machine with the ram stick belived to be faulty, just incase it is indeed faulty, how do i check my ram at the bios stage? My mobo is Asus P6T Deluxe. (I have never loaded a pc without any working ram before and dont want to risk damaging my computer!)*

• Corsair Employee

To properly figure out if the problem is the memory or not, you should run memtest and inform me of the results.

Here are the directions you can use to run memtest:

1. Head over to http://www.memtest.org

2. Click on the link labeled "Download (Pre-built & ISOs)"

3. Next click on the link labeled "Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)"

4. Download the software and Unzip the program files

5. Make sure a floppy disk is inserted

6. Run the program, when it asks which drive letter type in "a:"

7. Program should finish writing, reboot off floppy disk

8. Allow memtest to run 2-3 passes, one module at a time

I hope these instructions help you! Please let me know what happens!

Okay, did some tests using memtest via bootup cd, first tried just the samsung memory, had no errors. Then I tried just the corsair memory, and recieved a ton of errors, precisely one error per line and for evry line (the lines that appear in that red box).

I also noticed that when I ran all the tests, one of the cosrsair sticks was not being recognised at all (the stick I have originally believed to be faulty).

I then tried changing just the DRAM frequency under bios, from AUTO, to 1333mhz, then upon bootup, recieved the error: 'Overclock failed!', so i restored the setting back to auto.

(Everything in my DRAM Timing is set to Auto and has alwasy been AUTO!!!!)

My Conclusion: One stick faulty/unrecognised, two sticks with errors.

Whats your conclusion, RAMGUY?

Sorry about the delay, it seemed all this fiddling about with ram sticks caused a major problem with my windows setup and I had to struggle for 3days to restore a working setup.

I had to conduct the memtests without xmp enabled because when I tried to set to XMP, it was only showing up as disabled, I cant enable it, its greyed out.

I tested the first two corsair modules individually, with 2 passes, no errors showed up.

But when I loaded the pc with only the corsair ram stick I orginally believed was faulty, nothing loaded, the computer made the normal hardware bootup sound e.g. cd rom spin, hard drive turn on. But nothing loaded on screen, not even bios!

This one corsair ram stick is clearly causing the problem!

Archived