Corsair Community

TXT850W - possibly dead?

MasonO

Well it started when I left my computer running, walked away, came back a minute later and the computer was off. Pressed the power, got nothing, flipped the power switch off and on (on the back of the PSU) and pressed power then watched the LED on the fan light up for a flicker, all the system fans/cpu fans did about a half turn and it was dead again. After that point I can get no more responses from pressing the power switch despite resetting the CMOS or pressing the restart. I've covered most of the basics like cutting sticks of ram and have gone so far now as to detatch all extra devices to get to the basics, so at the moment I have the MOBO/video card powered to try and at least access the bios. Now that I have the PSU out I can see the fan inside the unit do about half a turn and lets out a little cherp then dies again. The PSU is about 2 months old and I havn't had any previous problems, with all my hardware in the supply is about 100w more than recommended. Does this sound like a dead PSU?, is there anything else I can do to narrow it down short of finding a sacrificial system?

So I plugged the PSU into a second computer and I got the same response, fan spun up about a half turn cherped and shut off. Upon reattaching the old PSU back to the previously working computer, that computer is now dead. gg

Archived