Corsair Community

Install PS up or down?

darrinjc

Building a new system. Case is a Xigmatek Midgard W. It allows the installation of the PS either up or down. Location is the bottom of the case and there is a dust filter where the air would be sucked from. My case will sit on a carpeted flow.

The PS (HX1000W) is currently installed "up" (Air intake from inside the box). I have no problems, but wonder what the benefit would be of installing it with air intakes on the bottom. Would I have a problem on the carpetted floor? Anyone ever install them this way?

Thanks for any info you have!!

If it's up, you're taking the cooler air near the bottom of the case and pushing it out the PSU. You MAY see lower temps if it's taking air outside of the case. It won't cool down the case, but the cooler air near the bottom would be now available for other components. I doubt you'd see over a degree or 2 of difference, if any.

As for the carpet, how far is the bottom of the case from the floor? Personally my case sits about an inch off the floor. To prevent the rug from getting sucked up I have two tiles (12") under the case.

Archived