Corsair Community

H50 Fan

logicfrog

what would be the best cfm for that fan? is the highest the best?

It depends how "noise sensitive" you are. I'd go with a 70-90cfm fan and maybe in a push/pull config just to get the cooler air in and out of the radiator. Put them on a speed controller with a "Y" adapter on the same channel so they spin at the same rpms. I use headphones alot so as long as I can't hear the fans over them all is good here. Tri-Cools have a L/M/H switch on them if the fan controller is a bit much to deal with on space constraints, etc.

I replaced the stock H50 fan with a 1200rpm Scythe "slipstream" (68.54CFM, 24 dBA) 120mm fan and it works very well. This particular fan is very quiet while providing excellent airflow.

Obviously, a fan with a higher CFM rating will help the H50 to perform even better but at the cost of more noise. Pay attention to the dBA rating as it will give you an idea of how loud the fan will be.

You could install two of these "slipstream" fans in a push pull config and that would work wonders. I can't do this because my mobo's chipset cooler would interfere with the second fan, otherwise I would.

If you want to get really extreme, get two Scythe "ultra kaze" (3000rpm, 133.60 CFM, 45.90 dBA) fans and use them with the H50. These fans are a little thicker than a standard 120mm fan (38mm) and are very loud so they're not for the faint of heart. They could be used to get the absolute most out of the H50 if that's what is desired.

Scythe slipstreams aren't that great under resistance, their performance diminishes rather quickly... i have two behind dust filters as intakes for my case and you can hear a difference when you open + close the dust filters. Also their rated CFMs are much higher than what it can actually push.

the Scythe Gentle Typhoons are designed for higher static pressure, and produce low db (different tone though) noise. It is usually a recommended fan for a radiator (I have a Kama PWM as a replacement if the corsair ever needs to be, but aside from that I would be using a Gentle Typhoon)

Archived