Corsair Community

Different Corsair RAM modules dying in my NF7-S V2.0 - HELP!

sir_rob

I have clocked my Athlon 2400XP at 11.5*200 and everything passes days of Prime95 and Memtest86. Then after about a week, I start noticing errors in both tests. I have sent one stick back to Corsair for replacement. Now the second stick that I have has gone bad! The two sticks were never in the motherboard at the same time. Any idea why the RAM is going bad? I have not upped the voltage on the RAM or even used aggressive timings. I am using the latest motherboard BIOS and I use Win2k. I have a 525w Leadman PSU. The first stick that went bad was: Corsair CMX512-3500C2PT 512MB DDR433 PC3500 XMS Memory The second stick was: Corsair VS512MB400 512MB DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory The RAM will run at 266mhz but not 400mhz. Any ideas? Is the motherboard killing my RAM?

I have posted a bit on Abit's Forums, even though they could not help, they were very willing to help. Here are some posts from that forum: the voltage reads: DDRV 2.67 +3.3V 3.30 +12V 11.98 +5 5.1 VCOR 1.6 ---------------- The problem ONLY manifests itself when I set the RAM to run at 400mhz for a week or so. It will run Prime95 for weeks at a time at 266mhz FSB--even on the failing RAM that is supposed to run at 400mhz or 433mhz. In other words---- RAM originally ran at 400mhz and a week later fails at 400mhz and 366mhz permanently. It will still run at 266mhz just fine. -------------- I have the system hooked up to a UPS from APC, but I guess the PSU could be hiccupping at times and the RAM is only sensitive at higher speeds? What do you think? --------------- In the future I will try another DIMM slot when my replacement stick comes back from Corsair. This stick won't run at its rated speeds now on any computer. The RAM timings are exactly as specified. I have been using the first DIMM slot. ------------ Only the RAM is overclocked ------------- All of these problems have been happening after I run the RAM at 400mhz on this one motherboard. Before that they are fine (but not afterwards) ---------- A little voltage info: At 2.6v I get errors in less than 8 min. At 2.7v & 2.8v Memtest86 permanently freezes between 7-8 min. Strange behavior for sure. ------------- Update from MBM5: No spikes worth noting under load (2.66v to 2.69v). ------------ I have tried different DIMM slots with the same results Any ideas?

When I said that only the RAM was overclocked, I meant that nothing was overclocked, just that the FSB had been raised to where the RAM was supposed to be. I don't know why I frased it that way. Sorry.

Archived