Corsair Community

WoW video crashes, 12V rail at fault?

slashv21

I've been having some video card problems with World of Warcraft lately, and I've been trying to troubleshoot the cause. I've monitored the video card temperature, rolled back its drivers, cleaned out the dust in my machine, verified all the fans are working and pointed in the right direction, and double checked all the connections inside my case. At the moment it's sitting with one side panel removed so I can verify that it's not getting too hot. I've had a problem in the past with video cards and WoW in the past and my 9700 and 9800pro got to where they would start creating this sort of splintered spiderweb on my screen in 3d applications, and I have assumed they fried-so to speak. I have since tried to build systems with more research and expensive parts, but this sort of thing is happening and I fear my hardware might be at fault. I have searched WoW forums for software issues, manufacturer forums for video card issues, and many seem to suggest a possibility of PSU failure on the 12V rail. I never overclock and tried to find a sufficient PSU for a single card build. I don't run the game with AA on or anything, so I would think that it would pull less power and be less stressful on the hardware. How do I test the PSU or what other components could be at fault?

With the side of my case removed, as I mentioned in the earlier post, I was able to locate a chatty fan, which happens to be one of the three little fans on my ram cooler that came with my ram. After I tapped it, it stopped chattering, and the cooler felt like it sunk into place (though I thought it was already properly placed before) causing the computer to hard reboot (I believe this is what you'd call it when windows doesn't shut down, yet the computer reboots). I'm starting to wonder if those fans may have caused this trouble I am having and am considering removing them as the ram already has decent-sized heatsinks on it already.

I removed that fan, and the system is much more quiet, however the video card still seems to be turning itself off. I've noticed that either I'll see the screen go black and the video card fan kick into high gear with monitor light flashing no signal, or the screen goes black and no video card fan sound, and after feeling near the fan, it's stopped spinning altogether. Not sure what else could be at fault if the card shuts itself off. The card isn't hot to the touch, and the case isn't hot inside either.

Archived