Corsair Community

Query about TX850W

Iceman8994

I recently built a computer using a Corsair TX850W PSU, purchased from Amazon. After all components were installed, the computer booted up fine, and worked well after installation of Windows XP. I had no problems with the computer for about one week. The first problem seen was that the computer locked up when I was on MSN.com. I had to press the reset button to reboot. A few days later, the computer locked up again, but this time, it would not reboot when the reset button was pressed nor when the power button was pressed for a long period. I had to unplug the computer to get it to shut down. Since that second lock up, when the power button is pressed, the case fans and CPU cooler fan will come on, the PSU fan will spin, but the video card fan spins, then slows repetitively, and the computer won't POST. I removed the video card and put it in a different computer, and it worked fine. I put a lower power video card in the problematic computer and, although its fan spun smoothly, the computer again did not boot up. I replaced the original GPU and tried different PCI-E plugs from the Corsair PSU on it, but the computer still would not boot up. I checked all of the power cables and they are in tight. It seems to me that there is a problem with the power supply, that it is providing enough power for the low power-requiring fans, but not enough to supply the GPU or to power up the computer. I purchased this PSU about a month an a half ago, but it is past the Amazon 30 day return period. Does this sound like it is a PSU problem and, if so, what would be the process of returning it to Corsair for a replacement? Thank you for any help you can provide. My computer specs should be in my profile, or, if protocol dictates, I can list them in a separate entry.

Power doesnt sound like the issue. Well power can always be an issue for lots of PC issues, but with the lockups and not shutting off, and especially with the power up but no post, I think it is much more likely to be something else causing it. It isnt outside the realm of possibility that the power supplied to whatever component is messing up being an underlying cause, but I dont think your problem is from the PSU directly.

try reseting CMOS and see if it will post. If you can get into BIOS, set it for failsafe defaults and try using it like that for awhile. If that works, set stuff in BIOS back to the usual settings, but no overclock or undervolt or anything non-standard with cpu, and make sure your ram timings and power are in spec and not overclocked or undervolted. At that point, I would focus on the ram as the suspect for the time being. At this point, give memtest86 and good overnight run and see if it gives you errors. If yes, there ya go. If it wont stay running long enough to even get memtest86 going, try loosening up the RAM timings and see if you can at least get it going like that. If that all checks out, keep an eye on other aspects like CPU temps, chipset temps, voltage dips, etc for any abnormalities.

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Thank you for your advice. I haven't played yet too much with other possible causes for this problem, such as a problem with one of the RAM modules. I didn't overclock anything or change any of the RAM settings from the factory values. Would it be a RAM timing or voltage problem if the computer worked perfectly fine for the first week? Mind you, I didn't push the computer much at all, other than one brief period of playing HAWKs (came with the video card), but I did let the computer run for a 24 hour period with no detectable problems.

I will reset the CMOS and then try to see if it is a problem with the RAM modules. Unfortunately, currently, I don't have another easily accessible PSU to work with, unless I rip it out of the other computer, which I am not too keen on doing, unless I have to.

I was able to borrow a 750W PSU (not Corsair) from a friend and hooked it up to my computer. It appears that the same thing is occuring: the case fans spin, the video card spins and slows repeatedly, but the computer does not POST. It seems, then, that the power supply is not the culprit. Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem here. I previously cleared the CMOS, and played around with the RAM modules (2 of 2 gig modules). Would this more likely be a motherboard problem if the computer does not POST and the PSU is not the likely culprit? Any help that anyone could provide would be very much appreciated.

At this point I think you need to strip the system and start over. I'd get the board out of the case and set things up with everything just sitting on a work bench. Then try booting the system with just the CPU & Fan, Vid card, and one stick of memory.

Get it all layed out on the workbench first and see if it boots. Then add one component at a time and see if you can find a single item that makes the system display the no boot issue again. If you get it all assembled out of the case and everything appears to work, then perhaps something is happening when its installed in the case, like a short of some kind.

Anyway, you need to start with the basics and work your way from there.

Archived