Corsair Community

A second set of TR3X6G1600C8D

jonj678

Hello,

I have one set of this ram, and am very pleased with it. I wish to buy a second. I believe I'm correct in thinking that matching the version numbers is important. The ones I have now are version 3.2.

Am I going to run into issues if I fail to locate a 'matching' set? The processor is running above stock, and moving to six sticks is pushing my luck enough without adding different types of ram into the mix.

If I am right in thinking this is important, can you direct me to somewhere (UK) likely to have stock of version 3.2? I'm having remarkably little luck persuading retailers to actually read things in their warehouse.

Thank you (for the forums, but mainly for making the ram :) )

Jon

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but that will be close to impossible matching the version number but in the event you are able to find a reseller who has the same version even then you may be limited to DDR1066 or DDR1333 when mixing two sets.

I would suggest just replacing what you have now with a 12 Gig set for best performance.

Hi. I too have been running a single set of TR3X6G1600C8 at 1600 by enabling XMP. Very happy. However, I was ignorant of the above and just bought a 2nd set and find however that I cannot boot into Windows at 1600 (with XMP enabled). It will boot using the default settings of 1066 though.

I've read a noumber of posts here and it seems I have made a mistake and should have bought a single 12GB kit if I want to run at 1600. Is there anyway I can get my 2 sets up to 1600, or am I stuck at 1066 or 1333?

If I'm stuck at the lower ratings, could you explain how to get them running at 1333? I'm a relative noob, and have only ever used the XMP setting in the bios.

Thanks in advance

Brett

Thanks RAM guy. Yes I tried this, but then it ran at C9 timings rather than C8. My supplier is prepared to swap out the 2 6Gb 1600C8 kits for a single 12 Gb 1600C9 kit so I'm hopeful that will get me running at 1600

So to confirm, it's really not surprising that the 2 6 Gb kits won't run at their rated 1600?

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, the RAM finally arrived. Glad I swapped out the 2 x 6GB 1600 kits for a single 12GB 1600. All works as should. I just enabled the XMP option in the bios and all worked. Glad I didn't have to stuff around with manual settings I don't understand. The only catch was I could only get a C9 12GB 1600 kit rather than a C8, but I can live with that.

Thanks RAM Guy for your help

Cheers - Brett

Archived