Corsair Community

I'm all out of ideas (and 200 bucks poorer :( )

Akira1979

Hi,

there was already a thread asking about the difference between the CM3X2GSD1066 and the Mac Memory derivate VSA2GSDS1066. I naively bought the Value Select modules (2x2GB). It worked fine for about 2 hours. Then the system started to freeze, forcing me to do a hard restart. I contacted the Corsair Tech support, and they told me that only the Mac memory modules are guarenteed to work with my MacBook.

After my reseller told me that he could not take back the previously purchased memory modules, I was forced to pay full for the upgrade to the Mac memory (2 modules VSA2GSDS1066). But the freezing still occurs.

I did a clean install of Snow Leopard (Apple Care's idea!!!), but still no solution.

I'm very close to throwing my beautiful but useless MacBook against the wall. Maybe that'll work :(

Please rescue my MacBook!!!!

Thanks in advance.

I ran Apple Hardware Test with the Mac memory module installed, and it identified it as CM3X2GSD1066 modules!?!?!??!?

Does this mean that Corsair labels the same modules differently and charges extra for this?

I'm confused. I payed 72 Euros for 2x CM3X2GSD1066 and 129 Euros for 2x 2GB MacMemory VSA2GSDS1066. That's a price difference of about 80%. For what?

I would be very interested in a statement of a Corsair Tech-guy.

• Corsair Employees

Any of the special purpose modules IE Mac memory or any other OEM part may be the same basic part as another module but there may be only some versions that would be compatible with that OEM system or systems. As far as the price difference memory is volatile in nature and changes daily so it is hard to say why there is a price difference, but some resellers do charge a higher price for special memory or parts made for a specific platform.

Is your system not working with the Apple part that you purchased?

• Corsair Employees

When you installed the new modules did yo reset the system firmware?

I think you hit and hold the Command + Option + P + R key, but please check with Apple for the correct procedure and then test them again.

And as I explained while they may have the same ID in the SPD they may indeed be different memory IC's on the modules.

Apple Support asked me to do several things.

1. Clean Install.

2. NVRAM Reset

3. PMU Reset

4. Disk-Utilty repair

Nothing so far. Brought my MacBook to an authorized service provider. They're going to have a look at it.

I'll post again if I hear something.

Thanks for the replies.

My Macbook is back again. They exchanged the Logic Board and the display. It worked for about 3 hours then it froze again. But now it's been working for about 5 hours.

Everything OK so far. But that one freeze after 3 hours crushed my hopes for a healthy system.

I'll let you guys know, if there are any changes.

Archived