Corsair Community

Replacement TX650 Acting Oddly...

I recently had a failure (complete with magic smoke) of a Corsair TX650 PSU that had been working fine since February of this year. I was able to submit a warranty RMA request without a problem (I can provide the case# and RMA# if necessary) and received a new unit, which was all well and good.

Here is where things get weird: within the first 10 minutes of booting the system with the replacement PSU was installed, the system powered down suddenly, similar to the failure I experienced with the first PSU. I freaked out for a second thinking the system had just roasted PSU #2, but then noticed no magic smoke this time - in fact, the system rebooted itself within seconds without me having to press the power button. I was in the midst of normal computing (gaming/web browsing/music) when the complete and immediate power down occurred.

This phenomenon of intermittent power down has been ongoing since I put in the replacement PSU. Sometimes it will power off even when I am not at the computer (coming back to the system and finding it off or restarted and idling at the Windows login screen). For the most part, the shutdowns seem random and monitoring voltages and temperatures shows no anomalies, even if I monitor temps/voltages right up to a shutdown (have SpeedFan running in a corner while gaming in Windowed mode).

One exception to this was during one particularly intensive gaming session, the system powered off, but did not reboot automatically. I manually pushed the case power button to start it up again, but nothing happened. I waited 5 seconds and tried pushing it again, still nothing. Frantic, I switched off the PSU itself and waited 10 seconds or so, switched the PSU back on, then pushed the power button. The system came on again. This sort of power down hasn't happened since, probably because I no longer push my system.

The only consistency I have been able to discern is that it only occurs during times when I have certain programs open - notably graphics- and CPU-intensive games. My original guess was that some component of my system was overheating, but temperatures show the CPU and video card to both be running well under their maximum sustained temperatures, and certainly not high enough to activate a thermal trip. Lately I have been able to avoid these power downs by simply not playing games, but that defeats the purpose of what this computer was built for...

It has occurred to me that it is possible that the catastrophic failure of the old PSU may have damaged other components in my system, most likely the motherboard, which AFAIK could produce the symptoms I am seeing (aside from a faulty PSU). My motherboard does not report the Northbridge temperature (or if it does, none of the temperatures on SpeedFan indicate an overheating problem), which is the only other component I can think of that can overheat and cause immediate shutdowns with no warning. Perhaps the ACPI was fried? Bear in mind these are not blue screens or freezes - this is complete and total power loss to the system.

I am wondering if RAMGUY or any other user has an insight into the strange behavior my system is exhibiting, and if it could be tied to the replacement PSU, or damage incurred by the previous PSU (or if that's even possible, given that the system works fine otherwise). I don't want to RMA the PSU unless it is highly likely that it is the culprit, especially since replacing it again (and/or potentially the motherboard) will take my rig out of commission for at least another week or 2.

Thank you for any and all feedback.

• Corsair Employees
Here is where things get weird: within the first 10 minutes of booting the system with the replacement PSU was installed, the system powered down suddenly, similar to the failure I experienced with the first PSU. I freaked out for a second thinking the system had just roasted PSU #2, but then noticed no magic smoke this time - in fact, the system rebooted itself within seconds without me having to press the power button. I was in the midst of normal computing (gaming/web browsing/music) when the complete and immediate power down occurred.

I would suggest having the MB maker check the MB based on what you have posted to be sure as it may have been a problem on the MB that caused the PSU to fail. However, when you installed the new PSU did you go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults? And have you checked in hardware monitor in the BIOS and let it run a while checking the Temps and Voltages?

I would suggest having the MB maker check the MB based on what you have posted to be sure as it may have been a problem on the MB that caused the PSU to fail. However, when you installed the new PSU did you go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults? And have you checked in hardware monitor in the BIOS and let it run a while checking the Temps and Voltages?

Yes, once the new PSU was in the system I went into the BIOS setup on first power-up and did a "Load Optimized Defaults" before allowing the system to continue loading the Operating System. The system was at the same configuration when the first PSU blew out as well.

Temps and voltages in the BIOS all are within spec and holding steady - no fluctuations or ramping up. To reiterate, the shutdowns don't seem to occur unless I am putting the system under sustained load.

I may just have to bite the bullet and RMA the motherboard...

Archived