Corsair Community

PSU best practices

KrissrocK

Hey guys,

I have a corsair tx750w. I have built a couple machine previously, and a lot has changed since then. in the case i have my 1366 920 board, two opticals, 1 hdd, 512 gpu, card reader, H50, and 6 * 120mm case fans(1 front, 2 rear*, 3 side *includes the H50 fan).

the 3 side fans were all chained together and plugged into one supply. Two have y split to plug into 1 motherboard fan jumper, and the other plugs directly into the motherboard jumper.

Is having these 3 fans on one power cord ok? or should I break them out to other lines?

Myself I keep my fans power supply as far away from my motherboard as possible. I don't want to pull any amperage through my motherboard that I can easily move to another source. The only fan I power off a mobo connector is the CPU fan all others are off splitters and junction blocks powered by 1 of the many un- used Molex cables from the P/S. My mobo is for more important things than supplying amps to my fans.

hmm, i wonder if i'm explaining myself correctly. each fan is plugged into the fan jumpers on the mother board except for two, which are split from one. But that doesn't power the fan, I believe it just gives the cpu control of their speeds.

All the fans still are plugged into the PSU which power the fans....I have 3 fans that are plugged into 1 line coming out of the PSU...

am i making sense now? is it ok for all those fans to be off of 1 power line?

are u saying that all of your fans besides cpu aren't plugged into the MB at all? or are all off of one MB fan jumper?

should I not have them controlled by the MB at all and get a fan controller for all of 'em?

my bad, headers....well mine sure don't spin with only the headers connected...

they spin when the psu is connected to them...

You check the BIOS? A lot of them these days have some basic speed control options vs just supplying a constant 12v. Wouldnt be surprised to see some boards out there with options to disable the headers all together in addition to that.

As mentioned above though, I like to keep all my fans except for the CPU on a fan bus. There is usually no need for all the extra noise running them full tilt at 12v from the motherboard headers, and a fan bus lets you turn em exactly how fast you want them to vs the limited control on the motherboards that do have some basic speed control.

yeah, my MB has a "smartFan" setting. But they run horribly loud at full speed unless i hook up a temp sensor for each fan...And what i've discovered is that fan headers do supply power for fans, but my fans have cord extender which eliminates the power lines from the MB, and that's why mine need power from PSU.

SO i'm just gonna get a Fan controller and do as you suggested which is keep as little current through the MB as possible.

Archived