Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF - Memtest error report

pZonaKo

Hi at everyone, i'm new in the forum and new using "Corsair" memory (allways used Kingston)

I'm having many stability problems and random freezing with my new ram modules, everithing is by default and only changed the mem speed to 1066Mhz

Runing memtest i get the following message, can anyone tells me something about it?

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7774/img0272xp.jpg

Thanks a lot!!!

Considering the error is on a memory location over 4 GB, it's not possible.

Disable Legacy USB support in your BIOS and test one stick at a time in the same slot.

Also, you need to set the memory voltage to 2.1v as per the memory label.

• 2 weeks later...
Considering the error is on a memory location over 4 GB, it's not possible.

Of course that's possible.

The computer maps Video RAM and other expansion card RAM into the 4GB address space that can be accessed by 32bit Software. Usually between 3GB and 4GB.

If physical RAM is present in that address range it gets re-mapped to addresses over 4GB.

You need either Physical Address Extension (PAE) or 64Bit software to use memory above 4GB. All current CPUs support both.

All NT based 32Bit Windows versions support PAE but Microsoft limited the non-server versions to 4GB RAM and further reduced that later to 4GB address space because too much consumer hardware or it's drivers had problems with DMA in the PAE accessable memory above 4GB.

Thats the reason why 32Bit Windows XP, Vista and Win7 only support about 3GB of RAM no matter how much you have installed.

I don't know if Memtest86+ uses PAE or is a 64bit program but it obviously can access more than 4GB. :):

I assume that too but (at least on some platforms) it seems Memtest reports the address of the tested memory which can be above the amount of installed memory due to re-mapping.

I have 8GB RAM and Memtest86+ tests addresses up to a little over 9GB.

Archived