Corsair Community

Asus Crosshair III Formula

Lestat II

I checked the compatibility list and I was immediately perked by a CAS 6 set of memory. I am referring to the CMG4GX3M2A1600C7 set. However I just want to know three things:

1) Is this memory compatible with the ASUS Crosshair III Formula running an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Deneb?

2) Is there advanced timing information for these modules (this board allows you to tweak every (that I know of) setting of the RAM)?

3) Is there an 8GB set of this memory available with the fan? If not, is there a set that does not include the fan and would it be ok to combine a set and have it work in dual channel mode at its rated 1600 speed?

• Corsair Employees
1) Is this memory compatible with the ASUS Crosshair III Formula running an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Deneb?

A: Yes but that CPU is rated at DDR1333 Max so to run these modules at their full speed would require the CPU to be over clocked.

2) Is there advanced timing information for these modules (this board allows you to tweak every (that I know of) setting of the RAM)?

A: you can get the tested settings from the Products page under the resources Tab or from the link in my signature.

3) Is there an 8GB set of this memory available with the fan? If not, is there a set that does not include the fan and would it be ok to combine a set and have it work in dual channel mode at its rated 1600 speed?

A: I would not suggest mixing two sets as you may be limited to DDR1333 we do have a 8 Gig set part number CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

Ok, quick question...

I have looked on the AMD site and cannot find the Electrical specs for the 965 BE to give me an idea of the base voltage and clocks, etc. Can you point me in the right direction? I know this is not AMD support, but I was curious if you might know what I need to set up to get this RAM running at DDR3 1600?

Thanks!

P.S.

I'll keep digging around AMD to see if I can get any input from them as well.

• Corsair Employees

It often easier to find the spec information on third party review sites like Legit Reviews

Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Processor Specifications:

Model Number: Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

Core Frequency: 3.40GHz

Official Pricing at Launch: $245 (US)

Tray OPN: TRAY OPN# HDZ965FBK4DGI

Processor in a Box OPN: PIB OPN# HDZ965FBGIBOX

L1 Cache Sizes: 64K of L1 instruction and 64K of L1 data cache per core (512KB total L1 per processor)

L2 Cache Sizes: 512KB of L2 data cache per core (2MB total L2 per processor)

L3 Cache Size: 6MB (shared)

Total Cache (L2+L3): 8MB

Memory Controller Type: Integrated 128-bit wide memory controller *

Memory Controller Speed: Up to 2.0GHz with Dual Dynamic Power Management

Types of Memory Supported: Unregistered DIMMs up to PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066MHz) -AND- PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333MHz)

HyperTransport 3.0 Specification: One 16-bit/16-bit link @ up to 4.0GHz full duplex (2.0GHz x2)

Total Processor-to-System Bandwidth:

Up to 37.3GB/s total bandwidth [up to 21.3 GB/s memory bandwidth (DDR3-1333) + 16.0GB/s (HT3)]

Up to 33.1GB/s total bandwidth [up to 17.1 GB/s memory bandwidth (DDR2-1066) + 16.0GB/s (HT3)]

Packaging: Socket AM3 938-pin organic micro pin grid array (micro-PGA)

Fab location: GLOBALFOUNDARIES Fab 1 module 1 in Dresden, Germany (formerly AMD Fab 36)

Process Technology: 45-nanometer DSL SOI (silicon-on-insulator) technology

Approximate Die Size: 258 mm2

Approximate Transistor count: ~ 758 million

Max Temp: 65o Celsius

Nominal Voltage: 0.825-1.425V

Max TDP: 140 Watts

• 2 months later...

Hi all

First of all sorry for my english

I just ordered yesterday Asus crosshair lll+Amd Phenom ll 965 BE and Corsair CMD4GX3M2A1600C8------>i ordered corsair 2 pieces

Was it a mistake?Will be working as 1600 mhz as 8gb???

i saw now there is a also 8 Gig set--- part number CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

what should i do now?should i give it them back?

• 4 weeks later...
Lestat, Did you use the cmd8gx3m4a1600c8 8gb kit on your crosshair III? Just wondering how the ram is performing as i am also looking for good ram for the crosshair III. I like the blue accents these ram modules have better than the red and like Ozzy i want to use a Phenom II X4 965 black edition 125w processor.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i've been having problems with my pc, and thought it might be my ram, i got the CMG4GX3M2A1600C7 and thought it was for the AMD spec, but it was the CMG4GX3M2B1600C7 that i was supposed to get. Would this pose as a problem for my Crosshair AMD rig? and would having 2 sets of CMG4GX3M2B1600C7 to get 8GB slow down my pc or what would that do to it? or should i just go for the 8GB Corsair set CMD8GX3M4A1333C7?

Thank you

hi, i've been having problems with my pc, and thought it might be my ram, i got the CMG4GX3M2A1600C7 and thought it was for the AMD spec, but it was the CMG4GX3M2B1600C7 that i was supposed to get. Would this pose as a problem for my Crosshair AMD rig? and would having 2 sets of CMG4GX3M2B1600C7 to get 8GB slow down my pc or what would that do to it? or should i just go for the 8GB Corsair set CMD8GX3M4A1333C7?

Thank you

Disgaea, check my system specs. I'm using 2- 4gb kits of ram spec'd for amd phenoms on a crosshair III with no problems. Ram is running at stock settings (1333) as determined by the mb. Haven't tried to get it to 1600 yet but its perfect stable as is.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you

What was the full answer to this question??? I have the same ram in my crosshair 3 mobo and it wont post...I swapped out the whole system except the ram with no luck. Im also using the Phoenom2 965 125watt, and a corsair 950 power supply? Im stuck in ground-hog day --CMD8GX3M4A1333C7--

Archived